Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
There,wolf...There,castle
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the truck end of July with 20k on the clock. It now have 21.5k. After my last wash I noticed this clear coat issue that I hadn’t noticed before. I’ve never seen anything stuck in that area. And there is no damage from a rock or something else falling on it. I took it by a dealer and he claims it’s from sap. The truck lived in a garage prior to me purchasing and I have no trees near my house where the truck sits. I had a 2006 prior to this that never had an issue like this one. I had a set of wheels do this recently. 2 of the 4 had clear coat issues due to finish. I feel like something in the clear coat went wrong, but I could be wrong. From what I can see the paint under isn’t effected it’s just the clear. What’s do you guys think? Only scaled back pic I have but it’s on top of the hood just to the side of the chrome scoop in the red circled area

·
Registered
477 Posts
Did you try a clay bar?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I’ve seen this happen before. The case I’m referencing was from some china berries sitting on the paint. Looks like something acidic sat on the paint. Could also be bird crap. A polish may be able to get down to it, also may need to be wet sanded. The truck I was correcting was a black 16 duramax. His was too far gone and needed to be resprayed. Then Again he probably had 30 spots on his hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
There,wolf...There,castle
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve seen this happen before. The case I’m referencing was from some china berries sitting on the paint. Looks like something acidic sat on the paint. Could also be bird crap. A polish may be able to get down to it, also may need to be wet sanded. The truck I was correcting was a black 16 duramax. His was too far gone and needed to be resprayed. Then Again he probably had 30 spots on his hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish it was that easy. I’ve tried some ways to see if it would go but nothing is working as the clear coat is actually cracked in that spot. So it’s not a stain or anything there. I can say for sure nothing sat on that spot of that size. I had a paint guy look at it and only option for it is to either do a touch up on it or re paint the whole hood for it. Like I mentioned the clear is actually cracked so there’s no options to just repair it that I know of.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yep--looks like damage from something that got on the paint. Also, for those that are not aware who park under trees during the spring, summer, early fall and they get the sticky residue on the paint it is not tree sap. It is pee......:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts