Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am no paint/body guy at all and have a couple questions. i went and washed my truck all up today, and dried it down. When i rub my hand along the door panels the paint feels really ruff like it has no clear coat or something. I immediatly waxed it and it got a little better, but is still kind of ruff. Is there anything that can be done about it, or am i screwed.
Any advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Clay bar, Very easy to use.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright, i will have to give that a try.
thank you

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
it also could have been repainted and not taped up good and got overspray on the good paint. too bad you live do far away, my cousin and i run a body shop :cool:. try having someone buff it. if its anything but the clear coat comming off, buffing will fix it :drink

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, it wasnt ever repainted, i got it almost new, it just started to get rough lately, it used to be real smooth..could a guy just get a fresh coat of clear put on or would it have to be all redone from scratch?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Try the Clay Bar, over the winter your paint takes a lot of abuse, Its a $20.00 investment. Before you go to the body shop.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Chiming in! I don't have an answer for you but I sure would like to know what a clay bar is, where to get one, and how to use it. I have seen a lot of talk about how good they are on other threads but never an explanation as to what it is.

·
Registered
641 Posts
A clay bar is a clay bar. You use it with detail spray, or I like to use car wash soap and water in a spray bottle, mix about 2 shots of soap in a large spray bottle of water. And I use bottled water. You wet the paint and in a circle motion you would rub the clay over the paint. keep the area wet, At first you will fell the resistance of the clay on the paint, as you rub it will get easier, and the paint will feel smoother. The clay picks up all the crap on the paint that wax will not remove. you will see all the dirt in the clay, as you go you fold the clay, like playing with silly putty. Mothers sells a kit or a body shop supply sells the clay bars, get the fine finish clay if you buy from a body supply store. Hope this helps you ??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks ICUKLN! I'm gonna try to find one this weekend and try it out. By the way, your truck is Bad A$$!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread D.W. Hope you can fix your paint!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Clay bar will most likely do the job...I did it on mine not too long ago and it turned out really smooth...I was shocked by the results

1 - 12 of 12 Posts