Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
DRW HC THUMPER
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced a click felt through the steering wheel when turning and going back to center. Did something break or is it normal?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Probably the steering intermediate shaft. The shaft that goes through the cab. The slip splines get loose.
Should be under warranty.
How many miles?

·
Registered
DRW HC THUMPER
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol 2800 it’s a 2021 3500DRW high country. More like high shit. Should have got the ram. So many problems with this pos unreal

·
Registered
103 Posts
I may have had something similar. The dealer replaced a”loose” pitman arm and the steering is different. Difficult to explain. I have a post about a rattle that ended up being a loose body mount. In the process of trying to find the rattle they replaced the pitman arm. I mentioned to them that things were different in the steering column and not necessarily in a good way. I had the front end realigned and that didn’t fix it. I think I’ll just live with it until I return home after the winter. You might have them at least check the pitman arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
DRW HC THUMPER
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealerships don’t care, so I’m sure it won’t be fixed and be considered normal. Just like everything else. The wind noise is so loud you can’t even have a normal conversation. BUT ITS NORMAL. stupendous

·
Registered
710 Posts
Lol 2800 it’s a 2021 3500DRW high country. More like high shit. Should have got the ram. So many problems with this pos unreal
GM quality is poor. But they keep making them and selling them is no problem. The more advanced they get, the worse the quality gets.

Reactions: theJman

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Dealerships don’t care, so I’m sure it won’t be fixed and be considered normal. Just like everything else. The wind noise is so loud you can’t even have a normal conversation. BUT ITS NORMAL. stupendous

Wind noise?... you have my attention..

Send me a pm describing the wind noise

·
Registered
188 Posts
mine has a click from the steering on cold mornings. it usually goes away after a couple turns of the wheel and by the end of the street.
it is not the intermediate steering shaft, that is more of a clunk. and that is coming from the big tolerances of the splines in the slip shaft.

the click comes from the little plastic collar/bearing the shaft goes through at the firewall. it is white. you can take that out from inside the engine bay (need to pull the shaft) and pack it with grease. that will get rid of the clicking. I haven't done mine yet

·
Registered
DRW HC THUMPER
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
directly in the center of the steering wheel? There’s only one click or clunk. Happens sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t. Defiantly can feel it at interstate speeds going over bumps and what not. I’m so sick of going to dealerships, nothing but scam artists. So if it’s normal I could care less then lol. If something is broken from riding the horse up and down the interstate then I need to get it fixed I suppose lol

·
Registered
DRW HC THUMPER
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone wants to know.... intermediate steering shaft was broken lol. So not even 3k miles on the truck and had to have the window control replaced and now this. Nice quality GM vehicle

·
Registered
DRW HC THUMPER
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Watch this thing keep on breaking. If it does imma lemon law it, but I’m hoping it doesn’t....... fingers crossed

·
Registered
137 Posts
For what it's worth - the quality on all of the Big Three (Ford/GM/Ram) sucks. The dealers are %100 hit or miss as well. I was forced to trade a 2018 Ram Cummins in with 30k miles on it because it left me stranded for the second time (over a $100 air suspension part)

These trucks keep getting more and more expensive, and the quality gets worse and worse. Pretty soon they'll sell you a $150k pile of mismatched parts on a pallet and make you put it together yourself.

The '19-'20 Cummins trucks were blowing CP4 fuel pumps left and right - thankfully Cummins did the right thing and gave up on that piece of crap and went back to the CP3 pump.

I decided when I bought my truck that they were all crap - I just went with the truck that had the best dealership service department where I live. Here in southern Oregon you have Lithia Ram (which is a genuinely horrible dealer) as the only Ram servicing dealer in Jackson county. No thanks. I would never own another "Stellantis" product for that reason alone. I bought from TC Chevy because they've been good to me before. My truck is currently at the dealer again waiting on parts (radio went out, passenger mirror fold motor quit, truck is out of alignment again)

From personal experience Ford dealers are probably the most consistent at screwing you over. They will go waaay out of their way to try and find a reason to deny a warranty claim - as if it's even their money they are saving. To the point where I wonder if Ford corporate has some sort of "Best Customer Screwing Over" award for dealers that really give it to a customer... I had a 2005 Explorer blow a transmission seal, and the dealer tried denying the warranty because I was towing. I ended up renting a pickup, taking the popup tent trailer I was towing over to a weight station and getting a certified weight certificate to argue that I was within towing parameters per the manual. The service advisor laughed when I brought the paperwork in and said "Usually people give up and just pay for the repair"

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just so you know, there is a known problem with the intermediate shaft steering. The current part is being modified.
I sincerely hope that's not the case. My 02 Silverado had the intermediate shaft replaced 3 times for clunking issues and here it is almost 2 decades later and GM still has the same problem?

·
Registered
DRW HC THUMPER
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well they replaced the intermittent steering shaft and it broke again. So this is number 4?!?!? They are getting with GM now I guess to figure out wtf is going on. It used to be solid going down the highway now the truck hits a bump and it jerks so hard I feel like I’m going to crash. Real nice. Solid piece of machinery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just traded in a Ram that had this same issue. Felt like the whole steering column was going to fall out of the truck. Took it to 2 dealers who wouldn’t do anything to repair it. Traded it in on this truck just 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
DRW HC THUMPER
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just traded in a Ram that had this same issue. Felt like the whole steering column was going to fall out of the truck. Took it to 2 dealers who wouldn’t do anything to repair it. Traded it in on this truck just 2 weeks ago.
So thanks to this site I got the intermittent steering shaft replaced and also thanks to this site I found out about the upgraded version of the shaft. The master mechanic said I can’t take anything I find on the forums seriously. He called today and said well you were right again lol. Gotta love the internet. I hope this new part fixes it because it’s quite annoying

1 - 20 of 30 Posts