Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I got 512 miles on the truck today and i went to go show off the truck to some family, and i used used remote start to start the truck. After it started i noticed a loud clicking noise coming from the motor. It almost sounds like a piece of paper on the belt is slapping something. Thats the best way i can describe it. I never heard it before. I drove home, and got out of the truck and didnt hear it but after about 30 secs of idle i noticed it faintly started to do it again and seemed like it was getting louder....

Is this normal? Maybe the exhaust cracking or something?

EDIT: After changing my search terms, i found this http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/maintenance/18607-does-your-duramax-tick-knock-read-first.html

Im guessing thats what im hearing since my fuel milage is 19.7mpg...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Completely normal. The Dmax is so quiet you are hearing noises associated with diesel engines and can hear them due to the extra quiet combustion knock on the Dmax.

·
Registered
241 Posts
denali hd3500 is right. I had the same thing and took it to the dealer and received a service statement saying it was normal and the reason it happens. So if you want to know best deal would just go to the dealer and they will give you the paperwork on it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
mine is doing the same thing, they say it is normal but I dont know
If it is the same noise then yes it is normal, tons of info on this noise, every Dmax i have owned and/or heard sounds the same way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine does sound like a type writer, which is what the thread says it sounds like. But its pretty loud, like i dont know how i couldnt hear it with a louder diesel. I'll have to listen to my dads 2006 duramax and see if his does it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
02-06-01-022L: Information on Diesel Engine Ticking Noise

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70°C (158°F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the driver's side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax™ diesel engines have this condition; however, some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax™ engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound, like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi, and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. This noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise.

Important: Replacing the engine or internal components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate the noise.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
you should hear my LLY it comes and goes but has always done it. sounds like shit but they all do it just not all the time.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
you should hear my LLY it comes and goes but has always done it. sounds like shit but they all do it just not all the time.
That is correct, like the recall letter says. They all do it, you just don't hear it all the time and you need to be standing outside the truck to hear it or next to a building.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mine does it as well. I just tell myself it is like a solid lifter cam like in my old L-88 BBC crate engine, the sound of a high performace machine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The ticking sound that my truck had has went away for now since the downpipe was fixed. After they fixed it he said he now questions the other trucks that have can in with this sound

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just read this thread and glad to know I am not the only one but....I freaking hate it.

I never heard it with my LB7 but now I have a $55,000 truck that sounds like it is messed up.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
It's often more noticable after having an oil change. Oil type does not seem to be a factor.

·
Registered
362 Posts
That must be part of it, I just changed the oil a few hundred miles ago. Before I had never noticed it.

·
GMC..Professional Grade
3,962 Posts
mines been really loud lately, with cooler temps, which i believe is backwards of what they normally do

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
mines been really loud lately, with cooler temps, which i believe is backwards of what they normally do
Seriously?? Diesel engines always sound louder with cooler temps, icluding our all so quiet LML version of the Dmax.
I can't get over how many of you dwell on the tick noise that has been evident in every dmax engine built. If the injection system(fuel) reverted back to a single pulse per combustion event you would not hear the oiling event tick over the combustion knock. Now with the LML especially , 5 injections(fuel) per combustion event equates to a very quiet combustion event( diesel knock) allowing owners to hear the oiling tick. I find i have to have the windows down, or be standing outside the truck to hear much of anything coming from the engine bay of these new trucks. It's a diesel drive it like one, and enjoy, if you want none of the diesel rattle or or immennce torque numbers, buy a gas pot. I wish the engine were a little more rattly and noisy than it is, can't even tell i drive a diesel anymore with all 3 brands.

Reactions: DOCMC88

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Mine knocks louder when it's colder out. guess its denser air? In the winter time if I dont run a front get the engine above 180 it sounds rough.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't mind a rattly knocking diesel but I hate the tick, sounds intermittent and out of place.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I don't mind a rattly knocking diesel but I hate the tick, sounds intermittent and out of place.
Shut it off before you get out and you will will never hear it again.....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts