Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t seem to figure out this clicking noise I am having. The truck has new cv axles driver and passenger side, new wheel bearings driver and passenger side. New brakes (pads, rotors, and clips) all the way around yet there is still a clicking noise that increases with speed in the front end. I can hear it from both sides of the truck and the noise doesn’t go away when braking. Turning left or right doesn’t affect it and it’s occasionally intermittent. I’ve checked for rocks or nails in my tire and that isn’t the issue either. The noise sounds like it’s metal on metal and I can’t find anything rubbing at all. Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
What brand CV axles did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were a reman unit from Napa. I checked the play in them after installing and there a super small amount of play up and down. I just bought them and installed them last week

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Front diff actuator has the front diff slightly “locked in”? Get all four wheels off the ground/truck supported safely and then run the truck in 4WD while listening to the diff. It’s the only other thing in the front end that is turning at wheel speed (speed/frequency that you describe the noise in). If it’s possibly the actuator, you can unscrew it from the diff and see if the noise goes away.

Reactions: Bossmantz

·
Registered
17 Posts
I chased a "creak, creak, creak" while turning at low speeds on my LBZ. I replaced the ball joints and pitman arm. It turned out to be the transmission crossmember bolts were slightly loose on one side. 🤬

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
I’m guessing it’s the CVs. I seem to recall somebody else with a clicking noise that that turned out to be just that. I would use oem shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts