Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When turning sharp in a parking lot there is a pop/click from the front end. it is worse when the brakes are lightly applied? we think its the torsion tubes, but we greased the ends and it still does it. any thoughts?

·
Registered
310 Posts
steering shaft?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I had all sorts of clicks and pops and noise problems...and like MMI said....I got rid of my Nerf Bars...and it fixed the problem. Because they touch the frame.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We have had our truck in the dealer around 6 times and they still aint fixed our rattle/thump/pop/vibration in the frontend. They replaced steering shaft twice and the torsion bars once and it still rattles. We even took our step bars off. and it still thumps and pops. I think the old shaft wore the bearing out in the steering box. I think we are gonna try that next. Our dealer pretty much said they couldnt fix our truck..:rof yea right

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are your cv boots ripped they can make popping noises when your cv joints are worn out. And it could be you steering shaft just had mine replaced out of warranty cost $250.00 parts and labor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just had mine in and I think they finally fixed this problem. They replaced some defective body mount cushions. Mine would clunk anytime I turned (right or left) and you could feel it through the floor boards. I have driven it for two days now and have not heard or felt the clunk.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm, im a 2wd. maybe i'll pull the step bars off and look at it some more

·
Registered
48 Posts
My '04 2WD does the same thing. When I max out the steering in either direction I get a pop. I just passed it off as "one of them thangs"! The chassis looks good and I see no problems. I will take a closer look at it tomorrow and let you guys in on what I find out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had mine in and I think they finally fixed this problem. They replaced some defective body mount cushions. Mine would clunk anytime I turned (right or left) and you could feel it through the floor boards. I have driven it for two days now and have not heard or felt the clunk.
Which cushions were they?

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
12.5 years later here we go lol

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Check your idler and pitman arms. Especially the idler arm. It is the weak link in the steering linkage. Idler main housing (mounted to frame) starts popping sometimes when it is worn out.

Reactions: Miller06

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Also check your CV joints. Best way to do this ... find a parking lot, turn your wheel all they way to one side, put it in reverse, and turn backwards circles to see if the popping / clicking gets worse / loud. Do this in both directions. If it popping / clicking gets worse this should confirm CV joint / joints have failed.

Reactions: Miller06 and HWI
1 - 15 of 15 Posts