Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I heard a clicking or snapping sound coming from the def tank. I've never filled the def tank as the truck only has 4200 miles on it and the DIC says the level is okay. My edge insight monitor also indicates level at 80%. (which surprises me that the level would not be down further). Any thoughts on what could be causing this sound coming from the tank?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Is it freezing outside? What year? If under warranty take it to the dealer

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in MN, so yes it's cold. But with that being said, I have not heard this sound until last night.
The truck is a 2015

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Empty Def tank don't trust the gauge....I fill the tank every few thousand miles

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Empty Def tank don't trust the gauge....I fill the tank every few thousand miles
You were right my friend! Put 5 gallons in and no more sound. Now do I have the dealer check into why the level sensor for the def tank didnt provide correct info???

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Oops....wrong order have dealer address your problem....if you need to refill buy the 2.5 gallon jug from wally world(usually cheaper there)
after the dealership checks it under warranty
My truck has a 1/3, 2/3 and full sensor. I refill the tank every few thousand miles.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Did the clicking come when you shut the truck off? If so its the sound of the lines purging

Reactions: rvrrat14

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
And yeah have them check it out. You should have gotten a low def message with around 1.5g left. Tank is 6g

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
GM rates the capacity at 5.3 gal, and says not to 'top it off' after it gurgles during fill.

Lots report getting more than 5.3 into it.

The pin sensor gauge system is not particularily accurate.

When mine gets low enough for the 300 mile message it will still not hold 5 gal. It'll take 3.5 or 4, so I finish adding the second jug a couple of fuel fillups later. Eventually I changed the method and just add one jug at a convenient time after the 1000 mile warning.

jpp, what def level did your DIC indicate?
If it was filled when delivered, there is a good chance it would have gone somewhere around another 3000 miles before needing to be filled.

In case you were unaware, the def gauge wasn't added til the 2012 year. Those with 2011's either fill on spec or wait for the 1000 mile (and lower) messages.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The DIC on the truck indicated my level was "OK".
MY edge insight monitor indicated the level between 81-100%.
I was able to put in nearly 5 gallons of fluid, so the clicking sound must have come from the pump. Once I added some fluid the sound went away.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Subd I also had the same issue with a clicking coming from under the truck like you described, thought it was coming from the dpf and well that was all she wrote, Flo-Pro went on the next day lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts