1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with that?

I set the clock.
It keeps good time.
I start the engine and it resets to 1200......
Battery issue?
BCM?
Radio?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Are you still using the original batteries? If so, that could be it. I would take your truck to an autoparts store to have them tested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clock issues

THanks for your suggestion.
I had the batteries tested today and they are about the same 697 cca out of the original 770. Yes, they are the original batteries.
Any other ideas?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
other than verifying the connections and the terminals I can't think of anything at the moment. Have you checked all fuses for the radio? Seems to me that there should be a power line to keep the radio memory....I have looked on alldatadiy, but there are no TSBs out for that problem.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
other than verifying the connections and the terminals I can't think of anything at the moment. Have you checked all fuses for the radio? Seems to me that there should be a power line to keep the radio memory....I have looked on alldatadiy, but there are no TSBs out for that problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'll keep looking for an answer and if I find one, I'll post it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
try too disconect the batterys theres a possabillity that you have a post rotting out of the battery very common on acdelco battery, with one battey you may have enough juice to start your truck but not enough to power accessories while cranking even with post rotted will sometimes test ok. Im assuming its the stock radio? are there any other issues power windows not working intermintently, seat adjuster intermintent, and a no start condition could be an ignition switch also common

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I'll disconnect the terminals at the battery posts and clean/inspect.
Stock radio.
No other electrical issues.
Got a "Serve brake system message this morning."
Shop reported at last visit that the pads were 90%+.
The mystery continues........:confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts
are you running any programs? if so, there are programs that set off brake codes. cycling the ignition will clear it. It usually only happens at start up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
Nope. No programs. Pure stock.
The "brake" message has only come up twice in the last 20-30 starts.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does it only reset when/after you start the truck? ( When you turn the key to on...does it show the correct time then reset to 1200 after you start the truck) intermittently?
If so,then it is a internal component issue.

If it resets intermittently while you are driving...does the clock just reset and the radio stays on or do you lose that too? If so then it is either a loose fuse or connector on the back of the radio. You can check the fuse ( under the hood in the fuse panel 15 amp bottom right area when looking over the drivers side fender) try a new fuse. If that doesn't work, pull off the inst panel cover and remove the radio and check the connector, it may not have had the tab locked in place at the factory and vibrated loose.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
Nope. No programs. Pure stock.
The "brake" message has only come up twice in the last 20-30 starts.....
could be that the seal in the master cyl. is going bad. Already replaced mine.

·
Registered
310 Posts
the service brake message could also be caused by an eletrical issue too, some times when trying to start a car with too low of battery some modules will throw codes for low voltage or loss of comunication codes u1000 or u0101 and so on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eureka!

It wasn't just ONE bad battery, but BOTH!
The Interstate Battery shop had tested them in the truck with a small electronic tester and declared them just fine.......
I took both batteries to Autozone and put them on the big load tester: bbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!
Thank you for playing....
We have lovely parting gifts for you......
"Bad battery" x2:

Two new batteries - Duralast Gold DLG-78 - later:
Starter spins like a 78 record (anyone remember what those are?)
No error codes.
No clock resets.
Problem solved.
Thanks to all who responded!
:rockin

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
glad to hear that the problem is fixed...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Proper credit given

Please note that ob_1jr - our Moderator - was the first to respond and his diagnosis was perfectly correct.....

:drink

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Well, good to hear it is fixed now. Batteries can do crazy things from what I have read on other forums.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts