Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me? I'm using pure soybean bio diesel produced in Iowa, and my Duramax loves it. when I can't get it and use regular diesel, then back to bio diesel, my fuel filter gets cloged, and I'm down to 25mph downhill w/ tail wind. The fuel filter is a bear to change. The diesel boats I've had in the past had a simple sediment trap in line and was very easy to clean. Is thier anything avalable for my 01 GMC Duramax??

·
Registered
352 Posts
When it cloges I wouldnt run it at all you will burn something up, you can put another filter on there or something like a FASS

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think the FASS would be a great set up for several reasons.
1. Filter are easy to change
2. Filters are cheaper than the stock unit
3. Regular FASS filter is 10 micron. You can get a 2 micron
4. Filters are about 3-4 times bigger, hold more junk and have to be changed less often
5. Plus, dude, its a FASS!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Diesel Nut said:
I think the FASS would be a great set up for several reasons.
1. Filter are easy to change
2. Filters are cheaper than the stock unit
3. Regular FASS filter is 10 micron. You can get a 2 micron
4. Filters are about 3-4 times bigger, hold more junk and have to be changed less often
5. Plus, dude, its a FASS!

Actually 3 micron....but whos counting......:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Redneck dictionary, micron- Dan and Diesel were coloring in a new book. Dan said why did you take micron?:toilet :poke

phillipe, Like Monstor truck said, do something or you risk junking your injector pump. GM does not use a primary pump to feed the injector pump, consequently it must pull fuel from the tank through the filter. The FASS system remedies both of these concerns. I understand biodiesel cleans out they fuel system quite well, once yours gets there you should have no more clogged filters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ray said:
Redneck dictionary, micron- Dan and Diesel were coloring in a new book. Dan said why did you take micron?

phillipe, Like Monstor truck said, do something or you risk junking your injector pump. GM does not use a primary pump to feed the injector pump, consequently it must pull fuel from the tank through the filter. The FASS system remedies both of these concerns. I understand biodiesel cleans out they fuel system quite well, once yours gets there you should have no more clogged filters.

:rof :rof :rof Love it! haha.......:thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
UM....did some digging on this subject....here are some links that you might find interesting.....

Running over B50 in a common rail is asking for trouble. The BD undergoes physical changes due to the high temps and pressures. Return fuel to the tank will plug up your filter rapidly on the next time though. Our '05 only went 800 miles on B99 before this happened.
This isn't BD cleaning out the fuel system but due to changes in the BD itself.
It also depends on which type of oil crop the BD is made from with soy being the worst.
Since it's impossible to know what the BD is made from best be careful and keep it under 50%.
Here is a link i also found from the same thread on DTR.....

Google Search on "biodiesel polymerization common rail"

·
Registered
196 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts