Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been trying to diagnose a clunk when going from drive to reverse. I jacked up the truck and took a video of the drive line play and clunk. Is this too much play for the transfer case or normal? Do I just need to grease the output shaft?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX_7rttcVcg&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I updated the link. I did this test in park. If i put it in neutral I and move it with a quick jerk it makes the same sound

·
Registered
204 Posts
mine has that as well. so def keeping an eye on this topic

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Over the years, I've complained to the dealer about the same clunk, on various trucks I've owned. They show me a tech bulletin that basically says in a 4wd truck, its somewhat normal.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no way it can be normal I know countless truck that don't make any noise changing gears in mine just started doing it

·
Registered
204 Posts
my friend just bought an 06 LBZ and his does not do that. Mine is an 07 LBZ and it does. Go figure

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
Worn out U-joints. Check the driveshaft for play

·
Registered
204 Posts
not driveshaft its in the t-case

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can the transfercase be rebuilt?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
My LMM had the same noise for 3 years. Never had a problem. It started after I built the trans. Held up just fine and it went through some punishment

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I just drained the transfer case and it looks all good. Barely any metal on the magnet. I stopped by a local shop today and they thought that it might be the rearend. Is that possible. They want 100 bucks to pull. The diff cover and check the back lash. He got under it and said that he thought it was hitting to hard when you shift And that there is too much play for being in park. Does any of this make sense to u guys?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Either backlash on the ring and pinion gears or the spider gears are worn..mine does this too..play is in the rear,,yet oil looks normal..

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the noise comes from the trasnfer case. But is this theory correct. If the rear end has slop in it then the power is not evenly applied and causes the transfer case to rotate and create the thunk. I checked my friends f150 tonight and he does not get the clunk when going from drive to reverse but I can twist his drive shaft and create the clunk.

I apologize I know more about motors than drive train.

Either backlash on the ring and pinion gears or the spider gears are worn..mine does this too..play is in the rear,,yet oil looks normal..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Are all you guys long bed? When my center support went out it did that. And now that my motor mounts are shot you can feel it really bad. I thought I've read about people greasing there slip yoke on there drive shaft and that would cure it as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.