Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen quite a few posts on this forum about the infamous GM steering column noise, but none of them seem to help me. I have a '07.5 GMC 3/4ton CC Duramax that is all stock except for the wheels and tires (20in rims, 305 50R20 tires). There is a clunking noise in the steering column. I'm not mechanically minded so dealer does all fixes for me. I have had ISS replaced, idler/pitman arms replaced, shocks were worn out so they have been replaced as well, lower and upper bearings checked and they are fine. The torsion bars are turned up but not all the way (at least 5/8'' gap). No other changes have been made to suspension. Any ideas what else could be the source of the noise? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This annoying little problem is about to bankrupt me!

P.S. I am a newbie. This is a great Forum, have really enjoyed reading through all the posts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yep, had it checked at a dealer I trust this afternoon. He said it(lower steering column bearing) was fine. He said there were a lot of parts they could throw in but he just wasn't sure where the noise was coming from.

Thanks for the welcome! I wish it was still under warranty. I've put 59k on her already.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Tell them the whole Intermediate steering shaft, Its a known problem, your sure its coming from the steering column? have you checked the hubs?

edit: sorry its late i missed the ISS

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum,fill out your sig and more guys may help out..........
Have you checked to see if that steering shaft has been cleaned and lubed lately??The dealer replaced mine after 15k due to noise,but the new one got a little noisy,sooooo,I took the advice of a forum member here and took it off and cleaned the ENTIRE thing.I made sure to lightly remove any burrs that were on it also.Before putting it back on the truck I put some good grease on it and lubed the assembly where it pivots/and slides up and down.Now either you can tell this to the dealer and they can take your advice and do it,or you'll have to do it yourself.[[that is if it can be cleaned/serviced....it may need replacing due to wear,no one can say for sure over the internet..]]Ever heard the expression ''if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself''??If you trust your dealer mechanics/service guys to truly check it out and look into it as you say then great!!If you don't then you better get someone who is mechanically inclined enough to remove the assembly and inspect it to see if that's where the issue really is....Of course,that's only ONE of the several things that can make a Clunk/rattle in the steering column....Having such large wheels and tires wreaks havoc on your suspension/front end,it is hard on the braking system as well,it IS the equivalent of the truck having more age on it,if ya know what I mean?Fill out that signature and get us the details of the truck,it'll also give the more experienced guys a heads up on what you are asking to be helped out with......:)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Wasnt there a Write up on one of these forums on putting a Zerk fitting into the ISS to easily grease it without having to take the whole thing apart?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I did the Zerk fitting and greased the shaft, and also did the U-Bolt and no noise ? YET ??. been about 3 weeks now. When I drilled the hole for the zerk fitting rusty oily fluid leaked out of the lower part of the shaft by the steering box.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have taken it to 3 dealers over the last few weeks. The ISS (top part) was replaced first, didn't fix it. I took it back and they checked the lower part of the ISS that collapses and said it was fine. This dealer then told me they realized something was wrong, they just couldn't figure out what it was. So I took it to the next dealer and he said the same thing. He could feel and hear it while test driving, but once they tried to find the problem everything seemed fine. Yesterday, I took the truck to the 3rd and last gm dealer in my area and he told me the same thing, "it's broke but we don't know how to fix it." He checked both parts of the ISS and the lower steering column bearing and said they all seemed fine. I feel like this service manager is a stand up guy and seems to know what he is talking about. He didn't charge me to look at the truck, told me to drive it 'til it gets worse and then bring it back. I asked him about greasing the ISS and he said with the "new" shafts they don't need to grease them. Unfortunately, I am super picky about my truck and just want to fix the problem.

Jonsey181 - How can I check to see if the Hubs are the problem?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Jonsey181 - How can I check to see if the Hubs are the problem?
Lift the front of the truck so the tires are off the ground. Next with one hand grab the top of the tire, now with your other hand grab the bottom of the tire "12/6 O'clock" rock "push/pull" it to see if there is any movement. If there is any movement then replace the wheel bearing.

I am still thinking the Column Bearing. Have you checked it yourself?

Look under the dash, and find the steering-shaft. Now grab a hold of it and push back and forth "Up/down". If there is any movement then that is where the noise is coming from.

Sometime you just have to check stuff yourself. At least that way we can help you better. Even though the service guys seem like stand-up people, they are still that people "human".

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help guys! I'll check the hubs and the column bearing this weekend.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Check your upper and lower ball joints as well. Mine clunked after the ISS was replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Silverado and have had the ISS stroked 3 times and then replaced at 35K miles. Nine months later, the infamous clunk returned and I returned to the dealer. After checking they said that it was not the ISS but the two A pillar body mounts. In fact it was the A pillar body mount bushings (insulators) which cost about $5 each. They charged me 3 hours labor to replace the bushings (constructed their own flat rate since they did not like the .3 each in the body shop flat rate manual). The "clunk" did go away. I raised a lot of noise because of the charges (not included in the extended warrnty) and as a result have been asked not to return to this particular dealership. I am done with GM and will go to another dealer until my extended warranty is complete or I get rid of the truck.

Moral of the story - the old ISS "clunk" can come from someplace other than the ISS. I swear it sounds exactly the same, and happens under similar circumstances as the ISS clunk. By the way, there are 6 body mounts on my extended cab, one on each side at the A pillar, B pillar, and back of the cab.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2006 Silverado and have had the ISS stroked 3 times and then replaced at 35K miles. Nine months later, the infamous clunk returned and I returned to the dealer. After checking they said that it was not the ISS but the two A pillar body mounts. In fact it was the A pillar body mount bushings (insulators) which cost about $5 each. They charged me 3 hours labor to replace the bushings (constructed their own flat rate since they did not like the .3 each in the body shop flat rate manual). The "clunk" did go away. I raised a lot of noise because of the charges (not included in the extended warrnty) and as a result have been asked not to return to this particular dealership. I am done with GM and will go to another dealer until my extended warranty is complete or I get rid of the truck.

Moral of the story - the old ISS "clunk" can come from someplace other than the ISS. I swear it sounds exactly the same, and happens under similar circumstances as the ISS clunk. By the way, there are 6 body mounts on my extended cab, one on each side at the A pillar, B pillar, and back of the cab.
good to know. I am having the same "clunks" as listed above and have replaced the ISS as well as the Idler/Pitman arms. I wonder how hard it would be to replace the front body mounts myself?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last week I removed the lower end of the column and slid the shaft up and down to re-distribute the grease in the shaft. I totally eliminated the noise!! (For 1 Week) So, I purchased a new shaft from the dealer that I've been told has been re disigned and the truck has never drove so nice. The new one was around 150.00... Easy, cheap fix and well worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
this worked for me

I replaced the intermediate shaft & it did not solve the noise (like a dull rattle). At the base of the upper column where the intermediate shaft connects there is a white nylon bushing in the outer metal column. Check this to see if it moves (mine did) I drilled the metal with a pilot hole and inserted a short self-tapping screw. Noise gone. Cost essentially nothing(everyone has a loose screw or two). See attached photo looking up at the column from the brake pedal area.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I replaced the intermediate shaft & it did not solve the noise (like a dull rattle). At the base of the upper column where the intermediate shaft connects there is a white nylon bushing in the outer metal column. Check this to see if it moves (mine did) I drilled the metal with a pilot hole and inserted a short self-tapping screw. Noise gone. Cost essentially nothing(everyone has a loose screw or two). See attached photo looking up at the column from the brake pedal area.
that looks similar to the exhaust clamp method, both just tightening down the bearing.

Ive got the exhaust clamp, worked for about 2 hours now its back. Already replaced the ISS, Pitman/Idler.

Looking for solutions. Does anyone know the procedure for tightening the steering box? I do have some play in the shaft going into the box...

It really sounds like its coming from right under the steering wheel/right around the hazards button.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No more noise

Im not 110% of the noise you're hearing but I had an awful dash/ steering column noise and I did the old hose clamp around the shaft on the inside of the truck under the dash. I believe it was over the column bearing and it was instant better. Took one 2'' hose clamp and well ah. No more noise. There is a thread with photos on here that takes the guess work out of it. Check it out

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ive got my 2" Clamp right around half of the bearing and half of the steel shaft. and its TIGHT.

Maybe ill play with the location in it...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I couldnt find anywhere to Tighten my stock gear box. I had play from 11 oclock to 1 o clock. I ended up having the whole front end double checked after I looked at it and all was good. Except for the gear of course. Stay away from Red Head steering gears also just FYI

1 - 20 of 62 Posts