Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be my trucks favorite noise. Most noticeable at low speeds like in parking lots. Go to turn onto a street and start to turn and i get a clunk from what sounds like the rh front. Turning to the left seems to set it off the best but usually when i start turn she clunks. Sounds different than the steering shaft rattle unless that starts as a clunk, although i cant really feel it in the wheel.

What the heck could it be i am about to tear into it? Where should i start?

My old truck ate sway arm links for awhile but those seem to be intact however i have not looked to see if the nuts are still on the bottom yet.

Any Guidance?
Thanks

·
I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY
2,598 Posts
bump for ya, mine has been making some funny noises too....

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
That could either be the intermediate steering shaft or hub. I am guessing a hub. Jack the front off the ground and try to rock your tires at 12 and 6 oclock...if it moves..there's your fix. My driver's side was clunking when turning..or at least I would get one good clunk.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wouldn't i have a noisy bearing if it was a hub?

hope to get it on a jack tomorrow (i miss having a lift:(). definitely will be shaking things.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
no not all the time...mine wasnt making noises when it was going bad..just clunking on turns and shaking the front end when going about 55.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine is going the same thing, is this a weak spot on the Duramaxes?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
they seem to go bad around 60-70,000 miles...its because they are a sealed bearing..not repackable i think.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it on the jack to find...

A bad wheel bearing!!! It has play in it when you rock it at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions but it is still quite:confused: Think it is under my power train warranty? I bet not I mean come on there is only a DRIVE SHAFT going thru the center. :cookoo

So what is the best replacement to put in. Anything out there that is serviceable?

I did however find out how heavy the Dmax is seeing as i had to pound my jack stands out of the asphalt once i was done!!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same klunking noise. Seems like its coming from steering components.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Got it on the jack to find...

A bad wheel bearing!!! It has play in it when you rock it at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions but it is still quite:confused: Think it is under my power train warranty? I bet not I mean come on there is only a DRIVE SHAFT going thru the center. :cookoo

So what is the best replacement to put in. Anything out there that is serviceable?

I did however find out how heavy the Dmax is seeing as i had to pound my jack stands out of the asphalt once i was done!!
Get the timken one from dmaxstore.com. I believe he has the best deal out there and it is lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If the wheel bearings check out fine: I had a clunk that turned out being the Drive Shaft's yoke in the transfer case. First symptom was a clunk when you turned to the left at slow speed.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I have the same klunking noise. Seems like its coming from steering components.
Probably from the intermediate steering shaft...pretty common. I just changed mine for the second time in 67,000 miles. Mine was rattling pretty good....the first one was changed for clunking when turning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts