Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 06 2500HD crew short box and am experiencing a clunk in the front end when turning right and going over bumps at about 30 mph. I can really feel it in the steering column. Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Yep, it is most likely the intermediate steering shaft. Take it back to the dealer and see if they can fix it. Even after replacing the shaft, mine came back, so not all are the steering shaft. Although, there is supposed to be a "new and improved" shaft that came out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yep, it is most likely the intermediate steering shaft. Take it back to the dealer and see if they can fix it. Even after replacing the shaft, mine came back, so not all are the steering shaft. Although, there is supposed to be a "new and improved" shaft that came out.
They also need to replace the ISS bearing, which has a plastic race and once the plastic is distorted it clunks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's around 250.00 mine is in the shop now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealership replaced the steering shaft yesterday and that seemed to have fixed the problem. At least for now. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
anyones power steering seem weak some times fix i'm sitting still or backing up to a trailer it feels like it jams but if i;m moving just a little it will turn.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
mine does it also.. i just let it be cuz i guess it is a comon problem.. and might have the chance of coming back.. not worth the money IMO

·
Registered
310 Posts
if you cant afford to pay for a new shaft or don't want to open your hood unbolt the steering shaft and push up and pull down a couple of times cycleing the shaft thourgh its range of movement 9 times out of ten will fix the clunck at least for a while relocates the grease in the shaft

NOTE: BE EXTREMELY CAREFULL NOT TO ROTATE THE SHAFT IF MIS-REINSTALLED CAN BREAK THE CLOCK SPRING FOR THE AIRBAG EXPENSIVE REPAIR.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Can you elaborate on this fix a little more? Any chance of a picture of where we disconnect?

Thanks,
Sean

if you cant afford to pay for a new shaft or don't want to open your hood unbolt the steering shaft and push up and pull down a couple of times cycleing the shaft thourgh its range of movement 9 times out of ten will fix the clunck at least for a while relocates the grease in the shaft

NOTE: BE EXTREMELY CAREFULL NOT TO ROTATE THE SHAFT IF MIS-REINSTALLED CAN BREAK THE CLOCK SPRING FOR THE AIRBAG EXPENSIVE REPAIR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts