Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have the opportunity to buy an ATS Co-Pilot for my '01 for around $500...is it worth it or not. I have read that some think it will help hold more power and others think it only masks the tranny issues for a while. I just got EFI tuned by Rob and my biggest tune is only 100 hp. I promptly limped my trans the first time on the highest tune (I didn't give my tranny much time at all to relearn first before I gave her hell either.) So....will the co-pilot (and maybe tcm tune) really allow me to run the higher hp without limping or burning the clutches? Thanks guys.

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
My personal opinion....I wouldn't run one without a built tranny.....but that might just be me. And on a second note, and maybe someone with ATS stuff will chime in, but most Co-Pilot threads I read are not happy ones.... that's just what I've seen in my time here..I have ZERO experience with them.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
subbed curious

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any of the morning crew have an opinion?

·
I Sell Fireworks!
361 Posts
Here is an excerpt I got from another forum.

"First let me say I have been a heavy mechanic for forty two years and have built a lot of Cummins, Cats , Detroits , Torqueflites Allisons etc.
The first copilot I got was dead , it would never put on the clutch or give a green light . They sent a new one . It had a host of problems . First it would turn itself on , second it would try to put on the clutch at low speeds 5 mph 10 mph , so I would leave it off until I got to 25 mph then I could get a lockup and start down hill and the brake would work until I hit the throttle just enough to turn the brake off the clutch would drop out until I would reach the 3 psi boost setting level again , which of course is not what you would want to do down hill. Like I said before they gave me the run around for six months . The last I have heard from them they said send it in , and now they have it and the last thing they said is they put it on one the workers trucks and it is shot. Their words. One would think they would put it on a test stand and test it . Either way now they say out of warantee . I have placed two more calls in the last week and no response. The BBB is sending them a second letter as they have not responded to the first one as yet.
Just not a good company . I do feel the hard parts I have bought look like quality. I just hope they are, as the service is the worst . "

The whole thread echoed the same response.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't waste your money. Put that $500 towards a full build.
X2 ^^ I agree. Save that money for a good trans build. Then you wont need it anyway. One was installed on my truck when I bought it, and I never really liked it. The idea was cool though, firmer shifts on command. I turned it off most of the time. When I had my trans done by Merchant Automotive, I asked if I should keep it on or not. It is now sold and helped pay for some of the trans build. It was good advice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I guess I will pass on it then...doesn't sound like the way to go from what you guys have told me and what I have read elsewhere. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
872 Posts
According to ats this is precisley what you need. I spoke with ats and they told me it would help the stock allison hold tunes fron 100 to 130. I recently picked up a co pilot for my 6 spd for 600 bucks. It came in the mail today but I do not have it installed yet. I will be making a thread with the results I FIND ONCE IT IS INSTALLED.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
again..... another epic fail thread

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Once you have limped your trans, it's too late to patch it up with higher clutch pressures, I think even the Copilot literature will tell you that. I'm saving up for a tranny build, no sense in bandaids to try and coax some more life out of fried clutches.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Once you have limped your trans, it's too late to patch it up with higher clutch pressures, I think even the Copilot literature will tell you that. I'm saving up for a tranny build, no sense in bandaids to try and coax some more life out of fried clutches.....
Well said. ^^
A good trans build will hold up to any of those tunes and more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know that a built trans is by far the best way to go, and with a 12 year old transmission that has limped once on me I imagine at some point I will have to drop the $4k and get it done. Just hard for me to justify that money on my older pickup with higher miles that I generally treat very nicely and only get on it every once in a great while. I was just wondering if anyone had some first hand experience with the co-pilot before and after tuning. Thanks for all the input though...at this point it looks like the best plan is to keep my foot out of the skinny pedal while running larger tunes around the 4-5 shifts until I decide to upgrade vehicles or transmission and just forgo the co-pilot.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I will up date this thread after I get my co pilot installed. I have read threads on this forum about the co pilot and multiple people have said they had a tune limped their tranny then installed the co pilot then did not limp on that same tune. That is what I based my purchase of the co pilot on, because I want to improve the transmission and would like to see if I can make my stock tranny last longer. The majority of people on this forum will tell you to build the tranny. But I don't think that is necessarily the best route for everyone. In the future I will probably build my trans, but I would like to help everyone els out with my experiences so you guys don't have to spend your money.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^Thanks man...that would be good to hear a first hand experience with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts