Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 gm 2500hd with the LMM and it keeps throwing codes p0381 & p0650. I have a Quad Stealth 2, DPF delete and EGR blocker plate. I also have a NavTv video in motion unit istalled for the factory nav screen and a edge insight. When I get the codes the glow plug indicator, oil, tire pressure, cruise control and highbeam light on the cluster do not work. My temp and direction on the mirror also dont work. I had this problem last winter for a few weeks then it magically went away, now its back. I hve reset the codes approximatly 2 dozen times in the last 2 weeks. Took it to the dealer, the blame the programmer (as always), I got them to print me a copy of the TSB regarding these codes, but they will not persue the issue any further untill I return the truck to stock, to prove its not the programmer. Has anyone experinced thes problems and if so what was the fix. It's alot of work to pull everything off and would like to avoid it if possible. Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
Found this post on another site...

Hi
It sounds like it is a wiring issue. Maybe your adapter is at fault.
I would double check all wiring. Everything I see points to wiring or aftermarket radio units\ adapters.
Here is a direct quote for GMSI on your concern....

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The dealer may encounter a customer concern of a SES light with the Wait to Start Control Circuit DTC P0381 or P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit found.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the DTC P0381 code cannot be duplicated, and it's only found as a history code, clear the DTC and evaluate the concern.

Engineering has been involved and investigated P0381/P0650 codes.

In most cases DTCs P0381 and P0650 will occur after a repair, during a radio upfit, an add-on dash switch modification, or upfitting of other aftermarket components.

For GMT900 Light Duty Trucks:
If P0381 and P0650 have set together after some type of electrical or under-dash repair, clear the DTCs and verify they do not reset after cleared. If the PC is unplugged and the key is cycled once you will set P0650. If the key is cycled a second time P0381 will be set along with P0650. If the power feed to the IPC is lost both P0381 and P0650 may set.
If DTC P0381/P0650 was not set before initial repair/modification, and only starting setting after repairs were completed, the repair needs to be rechecked. Connections and wiring to IPC (instrument panel cluster) should be inspected and repaired. If modification was made to original wiring harness it needs to be removed and setting of DTCs evaluated.
If P0650 is set by itself and was the original vehicle concern, complete the current SI diagnostics. ECM replacement is not suggested for P0650 set by itself. ECMs returned and inspected by engineering have been found no trouble found. Most P0650 codes have been repaired by either a wiring or IPC repair.

I Hope this helps
Follow back post if needed.
Pawl

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have that exact TSB already. Looking for anyone you has had the same issues and what the actual problem was.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any updates from anyone here? I'm having the same symptoms and not sure what to do...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine ended up being a bad fuse block under the hood. Who ever owned the truck before me had a stereo in the truck and used a jumper wire on one of the fuses under the hood to steal power. After the stereo was removed the fuse they used had a loose connection after the wire was removed. I could make the truck throw the codes every time just by wiggling the fuse with my finger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So after the truck was at the dealer for 3 days, they finally found the issue... somehow a small piece of solder was found under the 'IGN-E' fuse which was causing an intermittent short and the symptoms.

Knock on wood, but it's been 3 days solid with no issues. I will go insane if the codes pop back up though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do any of you guys by chance know what fuse that was exactly. I think i just popped it on my 04?????????????

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Moved to LMM-

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for your help! Doomsday

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. 0381 and 0650. Had stud-1 fuse blown. Changed it. Codes came up. My dash lights are really dim. They were really dim then they would flicker and get normal. Took it to the dealer. Blamed it on the programmer. Smh any updates?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts