Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder......

I had a 2003 Silverado 1500HD that used torsion bars for the front suspension too. I wonder if they are the same length. Maybe find some in the junk yard vs spending lots of green on the cognito ones.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The ride is a bit rough and bouncy in my 2021, especially when towing. I installed a set of Rancho 9000XL shocks in the rear only ( will do fronts when time permits) and noticed improvement.

Only using soft position so far but really notice less bounce and jarring. I can tell there is more and better dampening in the rear as the front still has the oem Ranchos it it is a bit bouncy.

Glad I just did rears only to start as it makes for a nice comparison. The plan was to install all 4 but life happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
nope. HDs have the exact same bars unless they are optioned with the snowplow/camper package.
The AT4 has the exact same height on the HD. Only the 1500s have the 2" level/lift
That is not correct. 2500 and 3500HD's are offered with 5 different rated (GAWR front) torsion bars from 4400 to 6000 lbs. in 400 lb. increments. If you look at the label when you open your driver's door it will be on the label. Depending on your engine and other options they will vary and, yes, if you get the snow plow prep they will be heavier also. I have the 6000 rated ones and am actually looking to get a lesser one as mine is the Duramax with plow prep but I have no intention of ever putting a plow on it so I don't need these stiff ass bars. Probably going to drop to the 5200 or maybe 4800 rated ones.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali
66 Posts
That is not correct. 2500 and 3500HD's are offered with 5 different rated (GAWR front) torsion bars from 4400 to 6000 lbs. in 400 lb. increments. If you look at the label when you open your driver's door it will be on the label. Depending on your engine and other options they will vary and, yes, if you get the snow plow prep they will be heavier also. I have the 6000 rated ones and am actually looking to get a lesser one as mine is the Duramax with plow prep but I have no intention of ever putting a plow on it so I don't need these stiff ass bars. Probably going to drop to the 5200 or maybe 4800 rated ones.
it is too correct. it is outlined above. of course if you have snowplow prep, or diesel vs gas motors, then they change.
but if you have a 2500 and a 3500 with both a diesel engine and no snowplow prep, the bars are the same. if the options are the same, the bars are the same

·
Registered
6 Posts
it is too correct. it is outlined above. of course if you have snowplow prep, or diesel vs gas motors, then they change.
but if you have a 2500 and a 3500 with both a diesel engine and no snowplow prep, the bars are the same. if the options are the same, the bars are the same
First, that's not what you originally said. Second, as I said, there is 5 different weight ratings as I outlined. Yes, many factors depend on which ones you have. Diesel/gas, 4wd/2wd, bed length, cab size, and other options like Z71/Z86, and snow plow prep all dictate precisely which GAWR front weight rated torsion bars are installed at the factory. Why would they make 5 different rated bars if they are basically "all the same"?

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali
66 Posts
First, that's not what you originally said. Second, as I said, there is 5 different weight ratings as I outlined. Yes, many factors depend on which ones you have. Diesel/gas, 4wd/2wd, bed length, cab size, and other options like Z71/Z86, and snow plow prep all dictate precisely which GAWR front weight rated torsion bars are installed at the factory. Why would they make 5 different rated bars if they are basically "all the same"?
why are we debating this? we are basically saying the same thing.

If there are 2 trucks, optioned exactly the same, but one a 2500, the other a 3500, they will have the exact same torsion bars.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts