Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought one off facebook for my 2019. I am not sure what all is involved, but I thought it was a few hours of work and I was good. But now the seller tells me that he didn't want to bother since he doesn't have a puller.

Do you need a puller for the pitman arm to install the PISK?

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I just bought one off facebook for my 2019. I am not sure what all is involved, but I thought it was a few hours of work and I was good. But now the seller tells me that he didn't want to bother since he doesn't have a puller.

Do you need a puller for the pitman arm to install the PISK?
Yes ... you at least need a puller. Unfortunately the puller would not get mine off, so I ended up carefully cutting it off. I would be lying if I told you this job is easy. This job really sucks. If you end up cutting it off, I highly recommend replacing it with a higher quality pitman arm. SuperSteer and Kryptonite both make a far superior pitman and idler arm that could possibly outlast the life of the truck if greased on a routine basis. This is what I have on my truck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eh, I might just leave the steering alone if it's that much of a job and requires tools I don't have. I am getting a little shake at 70 mph and I thought this might help, but I'll at least put this off til I get new, balanced tires because if that's the culprit, I have no interest in making the steering into an issue

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just watched the installation video again and I can't see how you need to pull anything to install the PISK brackets...what am I missing?

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I just watched the installation video again and I can't see how you need to pull anything to install the PISK brackets...what am I missing?
My apologies. I told you incorrectly because I replaced / upgraded my pitman and idler arms at the same time I installed the Cognito PISK. That is why I had a puller when I installed the PISK.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Cool, thanks.

I'm also a UT-ish engineer (graduated with BSME from UT Tyler), so all is forgiven. :)
Glad to see a fellow engineer on this site.

Just a heads up that I was forced to upgrade the idler / pitman arms and tie rods ... more specifically the idler arm and passenger tie rod.

When I installed the 4 inch Fabtech differential lift kit and installed 35 inch tires, I broke the factory idler arm and a MOOG idler arm, then the passenger factory tie rod and a MOOG tie rod. Luckily MOOG refunded my money on their parts. At that point I had no choice but to try the expensive yet heavy duty Kryptonite pitman and idler arms and Fabtech’s heavy duty tie rod ends. Been in there for over a year and a half with not one issue. Just goes to show that some of the factory steering linkage cannot handle the increased loads caused by the bigger tires and increased traction.

Reactions: Ron505

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dang, that's good to know.

My plan right now is to go with near-stock tires (33.5 at most) and no lift/level kit. But I guess if I decide to change that down the road, I'll factory in the associated suspension upgrades.

Good of MOOG to refund the money - nice to have good customer service when you're spending this much money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Eh, I might just leave the steering alone if it's that much of a job and requires tools I don't have. I am getting a little shake at 70 mph and I thought this might help, but I'll at least put this off til I get new, balanced tires because if that's the culprit, I have no interest in making the steering into an issue
Are you sure it’s not the Chevy shake

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After putting a few more miles on it, I realized it's not shaking at 70 mph - it's just riding stiffer than what I'm used to with my half ton trucks. As long as it wasn't a suspension problem or some kind of balance problem, then I don't care. Just a half ton honkie trying to get used to having a heavy duty pickup...

PISK is going in this weekend. Hopefully cab lights, chrome mirror caps, minor paint repair, and new tires going on next week. After that, it's just floor mats and a few maintenance items - fuel filter and transmission fluid/filter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used a $20 crescent wrench from harbor freight, but yes you do need something that size.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts