Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Cognito PISK for my son's LLY since he put the new wheels and tires on. Tried to install this weekend, and could not - just not enough thread left on steering box stud to add Cognito bracket. Basically would have to eliminate lock washer to get nut started on threads. Did some reading and found a few posts about not being compatible with the Moog HD arms. Wondering if any of you guys have run into this. Should I go back to AC Delco arms? Forget about the PISK? Your opinions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I have not run into this, but I really liked how the pisk made my steering feel, so I would not give up on it.
Looking at Cognito’s instructions it doesn’t look like they used the lock washer.
I should be under my truck this weekend swapping out the front diff and I will get a few pictures of how my kit installed.
Here is a pic from Cognito.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd appreciate it. I'm wondering if it has something to do with being forged now. Look below - the lock washer should sit in recess, and nut should look like cognitos pic. Just don't have enough thread. Thinking maybe the Moog HD arm is beefier and leaving no room.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Did the idler arm side look like it would work?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You would think I would've looked at the idler - aggravation got the best of me.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,519 Posts
I'd appreciate it. I'm wondering if it has something to do with being forged now. Look below - the lock washer should sit in recess, and nut should look like cognitos pic. Just don't have enough thread. Thinking maybe the Moog HD arm is beefier and leaving no room.
Wow, they changed the design of the brace by that picture, didn't they.

Just a question, but you didn't just install this pitman arm did you? Its been on the truck for a little bit already? I always have to tighten the nut down and fully seat the pitman on the splines before I install the brace to get the lock washer on, but you may be right in thinking that the new arm is bigger and doesn't leave room for the lock washer

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called Cognito this afternoon - turns out what I had read on a different forum was correct. There PISK is NOT compatible
with the Moog HD problem solver pitman or idler arms. Only option would be to eliminate the lock washer and count on loctite - not happening. Cognito reccomended going back to AC Delco arms. Rock is delivering Friday so I'll have another go at it this weekend. Also picked up a new stabilizer while I was at it - noticed that was leaking oil last weekend also.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just want to close loop on this. Installed new AC Delco arms, and the Cognito PISK fit. The exterior dimensions of the arms (Moog HD vs Delco) were nearly identical. Definitely in the machining od the pitman splines - and barely at that, but does leave enough threads for lock washer and nut under steering shaft. Have to get alignment - even though I didn't touch tie rods, the steering wheel is now cocked inside truck. Tracks true, no pull - only thing I can figure again is spline machining. Pulled old stabilizer - no resistance whatsoever. Check out the new Schtein bling! On list for this spring is POR 15 on front half of chassis.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Cool, I am glad you got it all figured out. I have the pisk and stabilizer on my truck and I love the way it feels.
That arm is different than mine, mine was fabricated and not cast like that one. Maybe it’s the difference in years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts