Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
me and the wife and my outlaws were driving home AFTER viewing a home today,all of the sudden the truck did a quick shimmy and it felt lik the tire fell off I pulled over and looked and the upper ball joint on the cognito uca sheared right off,has anyone heard of this??I have 2006 gmc 3500 single,thats not cool Im thinkng about putting the old uca arms back in.I only had about 8 thou miles.any help as to what may have happened would be a great help:gearjamin

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
I have had my set on two truck and over 120K miles with no problems.

Who did your install? I am betting it was install error not material defect.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Let us know what you find.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how could it be installed wrong out ofcuiosity ?round peg through the round hole=)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Only thing I can think of is forgot to tighten.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only thing I can think of is forgot to tighten.
you never know Im just glad I wasnt ona mountain pass doing 140,like I was oh about a week ago

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Forgot to tighten or didn't get it tight.

Not having the truck aligned to the specs Cognito supplied with the kit is a big one that I have seen.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not being alligned to specs could cause a severe failure like that??

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Yes. The arms correct the angle of the ball joints when you crank the t-bars. If you still have it aligned with the factory specs or even worse didn't have it aligned at all after the install that would cause excessive wear.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks for all the input,I just looked on cognito's install guide I didnt see any specs for wheel alignement,I thumbed through the 8 page install guide Im sure Im missing somehting

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
did you use the hardware that came with the balljoint or the hardened hardware that was separate from the balljoint? I know mine came with better grade bolts than what came with the balljoints.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just put my stage 4 kit in today and it was pretty clear in the last page of instructions that an alignment was needed and it gives angles etc...

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Cognito

Hey all
me and the wife and my outlaws were driving home AFTER viewing a home today,all of the sudden the truck did a quick shimmy and it felt lik the tire fell off I pulled over and looked and the upper ball joint on the cognito uca sheared right off,has anyone heard of this??I have 2006 gmc 3500 single,thats not cool Im thinkng about putting the old uca arms back in.I only had about 8 thou miles.any help as to what may have happened would be a great help:gearjamin
Have you contacted Cognito yet? Hopefully you'll post what the problem was...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im having the truck done tomorrow the guy thats doing the work will take it to a lab that he has dealt with in the past they will be able to tell if it was improper install or a fracture that may have been there from the start,I have spicer balljoint replacemnets with grade 8 hardware,spicer is a better product then moog,wich I beleive is what came with the package,keep in mind this didnt shear at the 4 bolts wich mount the ball joint,it sheared directly below the mount I did find specs on page 7 of the install guide for proper alignmet and will watch the front end alligned to the specs.I will post pics of the parts and soon after lab findings or at least ansd educated fabricator/mechanics with 45 yeras in the trade opinion,also willing to ship to a rep if I can find someone thanks for your responses Im hoping this was just a freak accident and Im not trying to discredit cognito parts at all just looking for answers...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It appears as though the ball joint had a fracture from the start kinda scary also the ball joints that were sent to me are not actually strong enough for my 3500,yes way down ona list they do mention k3500 once but they apear better suited for a k1500 and 2500 I'm now nervous as it was scary ordeal but hope that the new heavier ball joints will be better suited,I guess its to be exspected when you do anything out of the stock settings anything can happen I have the old ball joint if theres a vendor that wants to see it let me know

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Thanks for the update....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts