Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a bad bushing in one of my Cognito upper Control arms. Mabey from over greasing not sure what the cause is. They've only been on the truck 10k miles leveled with 33's. Question is when replacing them could I just jack up the front of the truck taking some of the load off and and unbolt the arm from the frame, slide it out and replace the bushings?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't. I'd sure want to pull the wheels if I were doing it just for workspace comfort/sanity's sake.

Post some pics of the bad bushings when you're done if you can. I'm curious to see how they failed, 10k isn't a lot of miles.
Maybe the polts to the frame were never tight enough and that allowed some play that ate them up?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So your correct to assume the bolts to the frame were not tight. The dealership installed the arms and aligned the truck. I noticed after a couple thousand miles I went to check torque on them and they were loose probably torqued to around 50lbs. Torque on them I believe is 100 ft. Lbs

·
Registered
443 Posts
Frustrating. Nothing like paying someone for shoddy work.

For the older GMT800 trucks the alignment nut torque spec is 90 ft-lbs for Cognito UCA's, Not sure if it's different for newer trucks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
dont feel bad, i had someone put a lift on recently and they had one torsion bar screwed all the way in and the other all the way out...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So just an update I checked torque tonight on bolts and they were a smidge loose. I'd say 1/2 a turn each on drivers side with torque wrench set at 100lbs. It got rid of the popping. I have the new bushings on order and will replace if needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I have a bad bushing in one of my Cognito upper Control arms. Mabey from over greasing not sure what the cause is. They've only been on the truck 10k miles leveled with 33's. Question is when replacing them could I just jack up the front of the truck taking some of the load off and and unbolt the arm from the frame, slide it out and replace the bushings?
Been hearing a clunk in my front end recently. After doing some digging around with truck on hoist, we found a bad UCA bushing on the passenger side. I have the Cognito Ball Joint Tubular Upper Control Arm Kit with Dual Shock Mounts. SO... before I do something and find out its unnecessary, whats the best way to replace these? Is it as easy as doing what is mentioned above? 'dunno; Is re-alignment going to be necessary? Thanks!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Forgot to mention, these UCA's were on truck when I bought it so I dont know how many miles are on them....

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
Should have an alignment done anytime you mess with the front end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts