Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, here is a good one. what intake is best for the LLY?? i know that GM states that if a MAF sensor is damaged due to "oil on the filter" such as K&N and Airaid that they will not cover it under warranty. So then the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act... blah blah blah comes up. BUT regardless of warranty, and who is selling the product, what is the best one out there.. lets compare apples to apples on the dyno.... anyone have any numbers or horror stories on any of the 560 different intake systems out there?? I have never been a huge fan of K&N because the rubber fittings get oily and can slip off the connections, exposing the engine to "raw air" and this has happened to me on a previous truck....

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i run the S&B air intake on my lly for 12,000 miles and it does a excellent job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok guys, here is a good one. what intake is best for the LLY?? i know that GM states that if a MAF sensor is damaged due to "oil on the filter" such as K&N and Airaid that they will not cover it under warranty. So then the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act... blah blah blah comes up. BUT regardless of warranty, and who is selling the product, what is the best one out there.. lets compare apples to apples on the dyno.... anyone have any numbers or horror stories on any of the 560 different intake systems out there?? I have never been a huge fan of K&N because the rubber fittings get oily and can slip off the connections, exposing the engine to "raw air" and this has happened to me on a previous truck....
You're right about the warranty act except, if the replacement filter meets OEM requirements the dealer cannot void the warranty, but if the filter oil contaminates the MAF then the warranty is void and you have no recourse, you can't even sue K&N or anybody else since they will just blame you for over-oilling the filter!! I can tell you from first hand experience with GM that this is a well proven fact and that you cannot win!! but after all was said and done and I saw just how much oil and dirt can get by a K&N that I will NEVER again use or advocate the use of an oilable filter for the intake, if you don't believe me just check the inside of your intake tubing after 5000 or so miles, it will have a layer of oil and dirt(dirt, if you live in the desert or go off road) on the inside! and before you guys start jumping to the defense of those filters just remember that if oil and/or dirt are collecting inside the tube, that means that oil and/or dirt is getting into your engine!!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i know, i hate K&N for that reason, they all suck but the spooling time is so much better with an intake. Has anyone tried the "GM Performance Parts" intake?? there was some BS on trucks tv last weekend that was talking about how sweet they were, granted they were being paid to endorse the product, but i don't even know if they have them for diesels. I don't know, I just want to keep the performance and not have to worry about warranty or dirt/oil on the MAF amd getting into the engine!!!!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
when i had the stock intake on my truck i changed the maf twicem,then switched to S&B air intake and reprogrammed the maf with my programmer and my problems went away

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I have an AFE stage II proguard 7 and I have had no issues. I normally run my stock filter if I am going on a long dirt road trip. I haven't noticed any dust in the intake tube like I did with the stock k&n replacement.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Marcus.........

sent you a PM.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i run with the banks ram air intake and modified so it's actually ram air...i have no fog lights so i cut the fog light slot out on my bumper and piped it with with home vent flex line..."jerry riged"

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
lets compare apples to apples on the dyno....
On the dyno, you will find little to NO difference. The reason is that a good CAI doesn't shine until on grade, with the fan running.

Here is SOME READING

Compare an IAT of 240, with an IAT of 80, on the dyno and you will get quite a difference. 240 is what the stock LLY intake will get up to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts