Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a lot of reading on CAI's and can't decide which one to get. I was looking for one that will improve air flow and adds HP and Tq but is reasonably priced. I also looked at modifying the stock airbox with PPE's suggestions but need to find an aftermarket re-usable filter element. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
AFE proguard 7 filter is pretty good. I believe AFE also has one that isn't oiled. S&B I hear is pretty good along with the filter from amsoil with the nanofiber technology.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I don't know much about these...but I had alot of people tell me NOT to buy a K&N system. They say it lets too much dirt in. Hope this helps some.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
AFE or S&B,i did the PPE air box mod on my LBZ and it's pushing 420rwhp and i really don't think it needs more air and that is with the OEM filter but if you would rather do the after market filter then go ahead but i figured i give you my thoughts..

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't know much about these...but I had alot of people tell me NOT to buy a K&N system. They say it lets too much dirt in. Hope this helps some.
that is true, k&n are good for gas engines, but not for diesels. good ones would be afe, s&b, or volant. but i'd go with afe, IMO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AFE or S&B,i did the PPE air box mod on my LBZ and it's pushing 420rwhp and i really don't think it needs more air and that is with the OEM filter but if you would rather do the after market filter then go ahead but i figured i give you my thoughts..
One of the reasons that I would not do the PPE air box mod is that OEM filters here are $92 at the dealer. 4 of them will pay for a limetime re-oiler sytem. Sounds like aFE Stage II will be my choice unless anyone can suggest otherwise.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K&m?

Thanks Tow Master for the info on the Stage II. I read an article in Diesel Builder mag Aug 07 " 18 HP in 18 Minutes" about the K&N Intake System. It seems like a nice system and alot cheaper than the aFE and Volant. Why is the talk on this forum trashing K&M and what is the problem with them.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Thanks Tow Master for the info on the Stage II. I read an article in Diesel Builder mag Aug 07 " 18 HP in 18 Minutes" about the K&N Intake System. It seems like a nice system and alot cheaper than the aFE and Volant. Why is the talk on this forum trashing K&N and what is the problem with them.

Hey sure thing. :thumbsup

I personally think K&N makes a great system! Alot of People say that K&N filters are less restrictive and let more crap through. So with the turbo's you dont want ANY debris hitting the veins. I think the price for a kit is like $250.00? So there one of the cheapest out there and from what I have seen they have the most known brand name. When I got my AFE K&N was one of the top 3 brands I was looking at. But I started reading and it seemed that AFE's ratings are better and you get a little bit more power so I went with it. Id still consider K&N.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks Tow Master for the info on the Stage II. I read an article in Diesel Builder mag Aug 07 " 18 HP in 18 Minutes" about the K&N Intake System. It seems like a nice system and alot cheaper than the aFE and Volant. Why is the talk on this forum trashing K&M and what is the problem with them.
k&n lets too much dirt in compared to afe.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have heard add an aftermarket and leave your stock from different sides of the field. I know the K&N on my gasser gunked up the throttle body, wouldn't an oiled filter do the same on the diesel? Seems like a dry one regardless of what you do would be best, but then you get into the area of is it really worth it over the stock setup.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've done a lot of reading on CAI's and can't decide which one to get. I was looking for one that will improve air flow and adds HP and Tq but is reasonably priced. I also looked at modifying the stock airbox with PPE's suggestions but need to find an aftermarket re-usable filter element. Any suggestions?
can I have your stock intake?

You are not going to do better than the stock intake, but if you must do it, I would like to have it.

I have had IAT to 180 with AFE's "cold" air intake. I'll trade ya.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How about just to increase the turbo sound. If i get mor MPG or HP, thats fine but I really like it when you hear that turbo sucking in all that air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts