Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to throw out my 2 cents on this, since I'm so happy with it.

My truck (2013 LML) has been doing something odd for the past 5 years after it rolled 20k miles. Before it warms up, not stone cold, but right at the first tick on the temp gauge which I think is 180 degrees, if you roll past 50% throttle, it would make a stuttering sound. It ran find, and power was smooth, but it sounded horrible. Like if you'd be embarrassed if your Ford/Dodge friend heard it. I searched and found nothing about it, so I had no idea how to address it. I just always drive easy until it's warmed up.

Well, now that I'm at 33k, I added Hot Shot's Secret Stiction Eliminator at the last oil change. I ran that for a couple weeks and noticed nothing different in regard to the stuttering. Then I added 10 oz Hot Shot's Diesel Extreme to the fuel. After a couple weeks, the stuttering stopped!

I don't normally believe in snake oil remedies, but this seems to have worked in this case. And the truck is running awesome too. So, I'm pretty stoked about that.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I just wanted to throw out my 2 cents on this, since I'm so happy with it.

My truck (2013 LML) has been doing something odd for the past 5 years after it rolled 20k miles. Before it warms up, not stone cold, but right at the first tick on the temp gauge which I think is 180 degrees, if you roll past 50% throttle, it would make a stuttering sound. It ran find, and power was smooth, but it sounded horrible. Like if you'd be embarrassed if your Ford/Dodge friend heard it. I searched and found nothing about it, so I had no idea how to address it. I just always drive easy until it's warmed up.

Well, now that I'm at 33k, I added Hot Shot's Secret Stiction Eliminator at the last oil change. I ran that for a couple weeks and noticed nothing different in regard to the stuttering. Then I added 10 oz Hot Shot's Diesel Extreme to the fuel. After a couple weeks, the stuttering stopped!

I don't normally believe in snake oil remedies, but this seems to have worked in this case. And the truck is running awesome too. So, I'm pretty stoked about that.

first, who has power stroke owning friends, i thought those guys just asexually replicated?

second, it sounds like you have some kind of tolerance issue. Clearly what you described is not normal operation for the engine, if adding additional lubrication to the fuel side of the engine resolved the problem then there is some component(s) in that system that are not fitted correctly to spec, or are for some reason seized. Im not sure i would rely on a lubricant to bandaid that problem long term.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, well now I'm worried again. I assumed something was just gummed up and now it's cleaned out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm already on next tank of fuel without it. This was the once-every-oil-change treatment, so I'll have a while to see. The only thing I could think of that would be affected by this is the injection pump- which is scary.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I'm already on next tank of fuel without it. This was the once-every-oil-change treatment, so I'll have a while to see. The only thing I could think of that would be affected by this is the injection pump- which is scary.
stuttering could also be caused by air entering the system, or a sticky bearing in the filter head as well as a bunch of other things. Its not necessarily a CP3. It may also be nothing. Im just weary of additives that make life changing differences. That said, Stanadyne completely stopped my old LB7 from smoking when the injectors went, but as soon as i stopped using it for more than a tank or two it would come back. so that was a mechanical problem not a sludge problem. given everything after the CP3 is running at 20K+ PSI, i dont think theres a lot of sludge sticking around, but a sticky valve in the filter head is an option.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Just as soon as the ECT needle starts to rise the ECT is actually about 100*- 106*, you might need to let'er warm up a little more before you roll past 50% throttle.
I'd be a little leery with using oil additives for the purpose you did, maybe a very high mileage engine, and if you used the recommended dose 64 ounce on the first change that probably wouldn't have been be a good idea.

Fuel additives are good and used for this reason (not what hotshot claims with the oil additive) and continue using in every tank if possible, diesel fuel quality is going down it needs a little boost.
I do use Lucas Oil stabilizer additive (proven product for me anyways on other engines) but just 1 ounce per quart so a total of 10 ounces per oil change, probably not enough to really do anything but it makes me happy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only reason I used anything is to stay on top of stiction since I'm running conventional oil- Delvac. And the recommended oil treatment was 1 quart (32 oz). It did nothing, but I noticed the stuttering went away when I added 10 oz of the fuel additive. This is the one you do yearly or with every oil change. Also, the stuttering didn't happen when totally cold, just at that middle tick on the gauge which as I believe is 185 or so since it's half way between 160 and 210. So, not cold and not fully warmed up, which is weird. No one takes it more easy on cold engines that I do, and I've driven that way for almost 30 years.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
A wild guess, probably 70% - 80% of diesels run Dino oil withOUT oil additives, not necessary, until maybe real high mileage engines.

But it’s a good selling point for hotshot to claim their stiction oil additive is needed at least every year, even on a low mileage engine.

Me personally your the only one I’ve ever read about being concerned about stiction, on any mileage Diesel engine.
But I’ll agree that some can get sucked in on stuff that’s unnecessary, this is a sales pitch gimmick.

But if it makes you feel more comfortable using the stickler stuff, that’s all that matters.
Diesel fuel additive is the most widely used stuff that makes smart sense, this is why your concerns went away, you used fuel additives.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm only doing the oil treatment every 30k miles or so. I see no harm in that. It's pretty widely discussed that conventional oils can lead to stiction. And I did say twice that the fuel additive is what did the trick. I was happy about that and thought fellow truck guys wanted to hear about it, but I feel like some just want to argue for some reason.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
No ones arguing about your choice with using this oil additive, me, I just don’t understand and now I don’t really care, my point was why spend the $$$ 'dunno; unless maybe you have 400-500k miles on your engine.
With over 40 years driving and maintaining big rig diesels, I’ve never heard of this sticky stuff for the reasons on the label for annual oil changes.

You’ve already proved to yourself and everyone else reading this thread what took care of your concerns.
It’s your truck and your $$$, I’m just trying to make sense of this sticky stuff and I can’t, as long as your happy.
I didn’t realize you had these issues below stated on the label as to what it’s used for.
“Original Stiction Eliminator will stop excessive black smoke and bucking and chugging on cold starts.”

On your coolant temps I think you’d be quite :surprise:, if you was able to see the actual ECT’s compared to your dash ECT’s gauge, let’s say with something that plugs into your obd2 port like the Edge Insight and what every shop has.
Mine at 210 is actually 182-185.

Have a good evening.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Today monitoring my dash gauge ECT’s and CTS2 ECT’s, dash gauge was right in between 160 & 210 which would be about 185, on my CTS2 actual ECT’s was 145.
The only factory dash gauges that are usually pretty close is fuel, volts and transmission.
Oil pressure and ECT’s are not very accurate, ECT’s are always way off actual readings.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just stumbled on this thread and it confused me. The reason I'm bringing it up again is because I own a Dmax and a 6.0 PS. I plan to get the Ford put back together soon so I need to learn as much as I can about it.
I thought the whole stiction issue was tied to the Ford HPOP and the HEUI injectors that are motor oil actuated. My Ford overhaul kit came with HSS Stiction Eliminator motor oil additive for this reason I assume.
Dmax injectors are fuel lubed only so not sure how a motor oil additive would help them at all.
Am I all wet here? I'd be glad for someone to straighten me out. I really like to learn something new everyday. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Dmax injectors are fuel lubed only so not sure how a motor oil additive would help them at all.

Am I all wet here? I'd be glad for someone to straighten me out. I really like to learn something new everyday. Thanks in advance.

Hello, OPs original post said oil treatment didn’t help. The OP then added the same companies fuel treatment and that’s what helped.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Gonna beat on this intermittent thread a little. Here's my experience with Hotshot's Secret Diesel Extreme. I've had my LLY for about 11 years. Soon after I bought it, I occasionally noticed a slight injector knock that began about 5 minutes after startup and went away after motor got warm and it's done that pretty much all the time I've owned it I have always used Stanadyne, Optilube Howes or PS fuel additive with every tank and truck has pretty much seen nothing but B-5-20 in the last 8 or so years. Sometimes the knock would get more noticeable, lately it has become even more persistent so I was thinking it's time for new injectors at 140K. Yes, I ice picked the harness, replaced #2 and #7 connectors, checked the harness at the alt bracket, replaced one injector that was borderline high, added a lift pump, rebuilt the filter head and some other things I can't think of right now over the years, problem never really went away. Well, a couple of months ago I was pulling my 5th wheel in Lewiston Idaho and needed to get some fuel additive. The parts place I went to had Hotshot's Secret on sale so I bought a 32 oz bottle and added about 8 oz to my next fill, figured why not try the stuff. Well, to my surprise, the knock has disappeared for now and truck definitely idles and drives smoother and has noticeably more power. No, I'm not selling this stuff and I'm always skeptical of snake oil magic treatments, but I'm curious to see what happens when I stop using it. I know the F*rd guys love the Hotshot's oil treatment and fuel additive for the ill-fated HPOP 6.0 but hopefully optimistic about it. Anybody else had good results with this stuff? It has a pungent smell, def different from the other fuel adds....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts