Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the diesel world so please bear with me.

I know cold weather additives are added to fuel in the Winter months that is purchased at fuel stations, but if I am at hunting camp for two weeks and it gets down to -10 Fahrenheit or below should I also carry an additive to make sure the fuel doesn't gel or for any other reason? :confused:

I guess I need to know in general is what, if any, fuel additives should I carry and possibly need to use under what conditions?

I know it's a rookie questions, but would appreciate some expert advice! :eek:

Thanks...Mark

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Power Service or Stanadyne. Put it in your tank before you fill. Dont wait for it to gel to put the stuff in there. Carry an extra fuel filter. In most cases -10F will not gel fuel that is properly treated. I have seen -56F using stanadyne in my tank and had no problems gelling. I did change my secondary fuel filter in the winter and I had ice in there, but nothing in my factory one. My aftermarket one has a water separator in it too.

BTW :welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. That helps a bunch. So it appears you added a secondary aftermarket fuel filter. Would you recommend that? I like the idea of carrying an extra fuel filter.

Thanks again...Mark

·
Registered
669 Posts
power service in the white bottle to prevent from gelling. if your fuel does manage to gel up then use a bottle of diesel 911 to remove all the water then put the white bottle in. with the 911 it helps to take your filter off and put a 50/50 mix of clean diesel and the 911. with all of this you should be safe. :welcome to the forum

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Thanks for the info. That helps a bunch. So it appears you added a secondary aftermarket fuel filter. Would you recommend that? I like the idea of carrying an extra fuel filter.

Thanks again...Mark
I did it for piece of mind. Also, it is a lot easier to crawl under my truck and change a filter than trying to change the one under my hood when the engine is hot. Yes, it is a good idea. For a little more you can add a lift pump combo too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice...thanks

power service in the white bottle to prevent from gelling. if your fuel does manage to gel up then use a bottle of diesel 911 to remove all the water then put the white bottle in. with the 911 it helps to take your filter off and put a 50/50 mix of clean diesel and the 911. with all of this you should be safe. :welcome to the forum

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did it for piece of mind. Also, it is a lot easier to crawl under my truck and change a filter than trying to change the one under my hood when the engine is hot. Yes, it is a good idea. For a little more you can add a lift pump combo too.
Makes good sense. I'm considering doing that. Thanks.

·
1,223 Posts
FPPF is the stuff that I use. Been around for years. Also was proven to lubricate better than most other additives.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll second mrmanners on his Amsoil diesel recovery. It saved me mucho$$ twice last winter. This winter it has been Amsoil cold flow improver in the tank prior to any signs of gelling. It has been running flawlessly in -20F.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Power Service or Stanadyne. Put it in your tank before you fill. Dont wait for it to gel to put the stuff in there. Carry an extra fuel filter. In most cases -10F will not gel fuel that is properly treated. I have seen -56F using stanadyne in my tank and had no problems gelling. I did change my secondary fuel filter in the winter and I had ice in there, but nothing in my factory one. My aftermarket one has a water separator in it too.

BTW :welcome to the forum!
not to hijack the thread... but what does -56F feel like? I can't even fathom that...

Stanadyne works just fine for me, we've been to about -2 so far this year and the truck runs like a champ with it. AMSOIL Concentrate with Cold Flow improver works good as well.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
-56F ambient (no wind chill) .... it just hurts.....i dont feel much of a difference below -30F though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live in northern ontario, and havent been using nothing for additive untill last wk in -30 i put in kleen flow conditioner. Should i be using other additive like some sort of anti gel ?Its been real cold truck starts no problem -25 not pluged in thats just amazing in my eyes.I sure know my old 6.2 wouldnt start in -5.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
what do you guys think of Howes Lubricator?

·
Registered
2006 Chevy 2500HD CCSB LBZ
2,192 Posts
I run diesel kleen in the white bottle in winter, the gray stuff in summer, and carry the 911 stuff in case of gelling.

·
Registered
60 Posts
x2 on the amsoil cold flow improver

·
Registered
2006 Chevy 2500HD CCSB LBZ
2,192 Posts
I'd like to try the amsoil but I cant figure out where to get it around here.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You boys talking about -30 and -56 need to move to a warmer place. That is just bloody cold.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well we on the cold topic does anyone use the elevated idle?I remember reading it was burning tranny fluid when turned on.And the kllen flo i am using is in the orange jug, I am a trapper and occasionaly leave my truck in the mid of nowhere when its -30 and leave on snowmachine.Should I allways use the antigel or just stick with conditioner? I do depend on my truck to get me outta there but if it failed i would have to use snowmobile.Any advice on winter starting and maintanance would be great.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts