Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my gasser HD I fueled it up a few times with the engine running during the winter. This eventually threw a CEL code for a valve in the fuel system that needed replacement. I was told by the dealer that fueling the truck while running was a no no and this would happen.

My question is does the Diesel face the same issue or can it be safely fueled while the engine is idling?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I always leave mine running when fueling, no issues in 200,000mi.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, Thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah that guy had no idea what he was talking about?! I've always left everything running when I filled it up with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Gas or Diesel it doesn't matter I can assure you that it won't hurt them and if it throws a code it's from something else more than likely completely unrelated.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The diesel truck does not have a Evaporative Emission System like the gas vehicles, so you will not be affected if you leave it running while you fuel.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Its fine to fill while idling anyways. I like to shut my truck off before filling. Old habit/playing it safe. Really the only time id leave my truck idling while fuel, is when its really cold out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My fuel gauge takes a long time to reset if I leave it running. The needle slowly climbs back up to full. If I shut it off it resets instantly

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
I have never shut anything off when fueling up, though some gassers at time will throw a code, but shut it off and restart it and it's gone.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I leave mine on, regardless of temp. I do shut off the lift pump while in the process of refueling. As soon as I am done, I turn it back on and dump in the additive.

I never shut mine off during short stops. I just switch over to remote start mode, take the key with me, and arm it. Even shop at Sam's Club with it running when it's near 0 or such.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The diesel truck does not have a Evaporative Emission System like the gas vehicles, so you will not be affected if you leave it running while you fuel.
Agreed.
My gasser was plagued with an evap code. Couldn't figure it out for years until I pulled the bed to do brake lines and found the steel end of the filter neck was rotted through. The evap system never saw the correct pressure or vacuum in the tank(whichever it is)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts