Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever it gets cold out my truck starts going crazy. First off on start up it acts like the batteries are dead but after a few clunks it starts. After that it idles really wierd like it will sorta rev itself. Then when I start driving it will rev high and my egts will be high then shift real hard into 2nd same for 3rd.
I have 2 dcts fuel rail pressure sensor an brake a circuit?

Someone please help I don't understand only when it's cold weather this happens

·
Registered
755 Posts
my truck acted kinda screwy today as well... no codes tho... just a loss of power that comes and goes... just changed the fuel filter... good luck tho man hope u get her lined out

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Man... mine loves the cold weather other than just taking forever to get the heater going... mine seems to run way smoother with more power. Good luck finding your problem

·
Fort St John BC via AK
117 Posts
yeah mine did that last year acted like both batteries were dead but jump it off and it ran fine,took it to the steeler thay couldnt find a draw so they changed the alt . didnt help . thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah man I haven't gone to the steeled yet but a lot of local guys and none of them can find a draw I can't believe that no one has an answer

·
Needs more go fast
12,519 Posts
my truck does all kinds of weird stuff when its cold... my when cold starts to rough idle... downshifts funny on the first few shifts... i hate driving mine in the cold :cool:

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
weird. mine sees about -20's for a couple days every winter. and its usually around 10 all winter and mine runs like a champ doesnt shift bad or anything.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Whenever it gets cold out my truck starts going crazy. First off on start up it acts like the batteries are dead but after a few clunks it starts. After that it idles really wierd like it will sorta rev itself. Then when I start driving it will rev high and my egts will be high then shift real hard into 2nd same for 3rd.
I have 2 dcts fuel rail pressure sensor an brake a circuit?

Someone please help I don't understand only when it's cold weather this happens
I know there is a table in the programming for these trucks for idle @ certain temperatures, I know from what I have seen and read the ally kinda likes to be warmed up before she acts right...idk if this is sort of what you are seeing or if there is another underlying problem when temps drop

·
Fort St John BC via AK
117 Posts
well once i jump mine off it runs fine. my problem is that it has new alt and batteries and mine still drains when its cold,not all the time but it happens allot .I'm thinking about a WABASCO heater but hell I'm still under warranty.steeler should fix it,problem up here is most "Techs" are about 12 years old and they have little to no experience with cars let alone diesels.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
my truck would boil the water out of the passenger side battery, so i removed the ps battery, i've been running on one battery for the last two years. i have seen no problems with cranking or cold weather except for the heater taking a little longer to get warm.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mitch mine is the same brand new batteries alt is in working condition, still something goes wrong in the cold and like you said its not everytime but most of the time, what is this heater your tyalking about?

·
Registered
813 Posts
my truck would boil the water out of the passenger side battery, so i removed the ps battery, i've been running on one battery for the last two years. i have seen no problems with cranking or cold weather except for the heater taking a little longer to get warm.
mine has done that with a couple of batteries... i chocked it up to cheap batteries, but have you ever found an answer?

·
Fort St John BC via AK
117 Posts
well the Wabasco heater is a diesel fired water heater that goes inline in the coolant lines. takes the place of the block heater .doesnt have to be plugged in .runs on a timer or remote.used mostly on our big trucks up here.it gets pretty cold

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bump for some help

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
mine knocks like a little bitch for the first 2-3 minutes if you cold start it and drive off lol.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Didn't know that was even possible...learn something new everyday. :drink

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I started watching my fuel rail pressure on my edge I'm getting like 2.0 idle and like 2.5k psi when I push the peddle in

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And it's smoking really bad

·
Needs more go fast
12,519 Posts
wait your rail at idle is that low?!?!?!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
yeah should be around 4. something i think

1 - 20 of 28 Posts