Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys got my first diesel last week, its a 04' LLY crew cab. I was just wanting to get some suggestions for winter operation, meaning like what is there out there for like anti gel additives and is there a product that does that and is also ok to run during summer months, basically looking for something that keeps me from gelling up in the winter and something to keep injectors and stuff lubricated in the summer. I live in NW Iowa so winter can get pretty cold like -30's sometimes with windchill is not unusual. thanks for all the help cant wait to get replies.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Power Service Diesel Kleen (sold at Walmart) has a winter blend (white bottle) and a summer blend (gray bottle) which seems to work well. Alot of people use it, myself included. Search around on the forum this has been talked about often

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
You should have no problems. Use an additive like diesel kleen in each tank to help smoothness and the Fuel stations around you will add additives to the fuel to adjust for the weather. Buy fuel where lots of fuel is moved(truckstops) and just make sure to replace any bad glowplugs if you throw a code. I suggest plugging in your truck if temps drop to around 0 degrees F. A timer can be used in order to not waste energy all night.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
just give it time to warm up dont jsut start it and then slam it in drive like a soccer mom. give the truck a second to get some fluids moving and start warming up

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I see -30 here pretty regularly so her's a few suggestions:

1) Run Diesel Kleen winter blend (white bottle) in each tank (carry a bottle of Diesel 911 with you at all times in winter)
2) Get a a grille cover and run it anytime day temps are below freezing
3) Open your WIF valve on your fuel filter and drain out any water before it freezes
4) Check your tire pressure because psi goes down as temps drop
5) Plug in the heater if temps drop into the minus territory outside
6) Give the truck at least 2-3 minutes in the morning to warm up before getting on the gas.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
^^^^^ x2 on the Diesel Kleen. I always carry a bottle of the 911 formula with me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts