Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

So I have actually had a duramax forum account for a while but this is my first post. I have a 03 quad cab chevy. I have owned it since March and just have the basic stuff done to it. Chip, intake and exhaust. Currently having a lot of tranny problems hopefully when I get some cash saved up I can get a built trans and further do more upgrades. I am in the Army and live in Colorado Springs so hopefully there are other duramax guys around I can get some info from.

·
Registered
379 Posts
What info are you looking for buddy?? Not to far from you in southern utah

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Fill in your signature... Go to user User CP -->> Edit Signature -->

List year and specific mods. What "chip" do you have?

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
Welcome to DF. I would be living in CO, but I'm allergic to snow..:) Some good builders in Idaho, that's only about 800 miles away.....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Haha ya, you will learn that the word chip is a no no. Its tuner or programmer.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Welcome to the forum man, as others have said, give us some more information so we can work with you :drink

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Southern utah is awesome. I grew up in ogden and yes I should have known better then calling it a chip. I have an edge juice with attitudw. I have a good friend who works there. my tranny problems are the fact that it is stock. Also it nows heats up to around 200 without a load on it. it used to never get hotter then 140 so that has mw worried and its gone into limp mode a few times after playong in the mud. I am guessing my tcm isnt sealed like it should be. Now I want to beef up the weak ifs but I cant afford straight axle conversion so any ideas on heavy duty parts?

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
so any ideas on heavy duty parts?
Check out DMAXstore....they sell a complete Kryptonite front end... that includes:

Kryptonite Solid Center Link

Kryptonite Tie Rods

Kryptonite Idler Support Bracket

Kryptonite Xtreme Idler Support Frame Gusset

Cognito Idler Pitman Supports

Moog-Problem solver Idler/Pitman Arms

·
Registered
434 Posts
I live in the springs. If you ever need help hit me up. If you need Trans work check out d-strocked there in Denver. Or call up one of the great vendors on here and do it your self. I'd like to get a core Trans to build that way me truck is not down.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Southern utah is awesome. I grew up in ogden and yes I should have known better then calling it a chip. I have an edge juice with attitudw. I have a good friend who works there. my tranny problems are the fact that it is stock. Also it nows heats up to around 200 without a load on it. it used to never get hotter then 140 so that has mw worried and its gone into limp mode a few times after playong in the mud. I am guessing my tcm isnt sealed like it should be. Now I want to beef up the weak ifs but I cant afford straight axle conversion so any ideas on heavy duty parts?
Solid Axle is unnecessary, there are guys holding well over 1000hp with our IFS, just make some mods like suggested above.

As for the TCM being sealed? Are you referring to limp mode?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
welcome! good to see someone else from colorado join the forum.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Limp mode wont have anything to do with the tcm being sealed or not, its when the allison can tell she is slipping or getting to hot. Usually when your beating on her :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I have beat her up but not so much anymore. When I say tcm being sealed I know they can get water inside them and make them go a lil crazy... I was driving back from a utah trip and doing 65 in very harsh rain my tranny started heating up and went straight into limp mode in the middle of wyoming. Then the other day at a stop light it kicked out of gear I had to shut it off and turn it back on. Dont get me wrong I am certain I toastef tge tranny one to many times so I plan on building it after I get a front bumper....stupid elk...then I want to build up the front end. Ball joints first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check out DMAXstore....they sell a complete Kryptonite front end... that includes:

Kryptonite Tie Rods

Thanks for the website... Any idea why the moog ball joints arr so much cheaper the ball joints that I can get at a autozone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Kryptonite Tie Rods

Thanks for the website... Any idea why the moog ball joints arr so much cheaper the ball joints that I can get at a autozone?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mine pops out of gear sometimes to, only happens at idle though?? Really weird, the indicator box blinks around D. I've never even thought about why it does that, its never when im beating my trans up

·
Registered
533 Posts
Welcome! I'm a close-ish neighbor too, Utah County here.

As far as beefing the IFS... by the time you sink the $$$ into all the Kryptonite parts, you're going to be in it for the cost of a D60 swap anyway. I'd say sleeve your tie-rods, run Cognito's pitman/idler support kit and make sure your angles are level. The 3/4 ton IFS (aside from TRE's) are pretty robust, realistically.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts