Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Legennn... wait for it...
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for new tires, and I've been wondering if I should think of going in a new direction. On my LB7, I put a set of General Grabber AT2's on it, and loved them. Now, however, I'm in a different place in life and need something different in a tire.

As some of you may know, I have a 54-mile drive (one way) to work, and it's highway all the way. I do a bit of gravel road driving as well, but don't really get out off the beaten path (or at least I haven't just yet) as much as I did with the LB7, so I really don't need to go with a full-blown all-terrain tire

My question is this: Would there be any benefit to going with a commercial tire such as a BF Goodrich Commercial T/A Traction, or a Goodyear Wrangler TD or DuraTrac? I don't need a purely highway tire, but I'd like something that will last quite a long time, not be overly noisy on the road, yet give me traction when I need it - in snow, on back roads, and get around somewhat decently in fields during hunting season or down tractor paths to get to farm ponds.

·
Registered
161 Posts
take a look at toyo m55 A/T. i work at a mine way up north and its all we use beet the shit out of them.... i have a set on my truck and there a tad louder on the highway but get wicked wicked millage out of them... and there tuff as nails.... food for thought... keeps you in a nice A/T tread with good millage

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
i just got a set of perelli scorpions. My good friend has been runnin them for about 40,000 miles (mostly loaded miles pulling a 40ft gooseneck) and his tires still have almost half tread left. they get excellent traction and are very quite (cant hear them at all). with the tires i had before these, bfg all terrains, i could smoke them if i punched it from a dig. that was with the stock turbo. these tires barely spin at all even with this s472

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
Check out Michelin LTX A/T2, haven't tried them myself but hear good things about them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the bfg commerical traction on one of my trucks and they are pretty good. Never really noticed if they were noisy or loud because I always put at tires on my trucks. So far they have about 11k and hardy any wear and the truck is a mason dump that is always loaded or pulling a trailer.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
I have had my Michelin LTX M/S in places they should not have gone and have had no issues. I have 60k on the set on my LMM and I fear I may grow tired of looking at them before they wear out. I am no tsure how they do in serious mud but jobsite mud has not been an issue. Snow was good as well.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Another vote for michelins. I have m/s's on my 98 and at 2's on my lml.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cooper ST, google em'

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
Running the Mich LTX A/T2s now, and they ARE extremely quiet on the highway and are holding up wear wise on the DRW hauling heavy…but, they ARE rock magnets. The tread holds the gravel and spits ‘em out for nice paint chips. Annoying, but Mich guarantees 60k miles, so we’ll see…I’ve never seen much more than 30k from any brand yet on a hauler.

The new LTX M/S2’s mileage life doesn’t compare to the old M/S that hardly ever wore down, but it’s a ‘green’ tire that supposedly gives better fuel mileage. Don’t know if it’s worth the tradeoff or not, mileage vs life.

I'm looking for something now for the LMM, the Grabbers are toast and a nightmare to ever have them balance out right...nothing more irritating on a DRW than out of balance tires.

·
Legennn... wait for it...
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wound up going back to General Grabber AT2's. I had great luck with them on my LB7, and went with personal experience over some problematic reviews on the DuraTrac - seems many people had problems keeping them balanced...

Plus they were $40 cheaper per tire.

The shop I use couldn't even get the BFG's for whatever reason... must be a distributor thing...

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The commercial traction tires are made to go on the rear of duallys and theres a steering tire for the front that goes with them.Thats what i was told by the tire salesman,so probaly not true.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well i am looking here too because my michs ltx that came with my truck are about worn out. Plus in my opinion they look wimpy and for me broke loose under quick acceleration on wet pavement. Not good enough for me especially since we can get good snow around here and i like my truck to be able to tackle whatever i put it through. I have no faith in the michs. Have had toyo ATs a long time ago on a jeep and they were ok but i personally think toyo is way too overpriced. They also have yet to prove themselves with their MT version. The only rigs i see those on are pavement princesses. People that have tried to wheel with them told me they weren't very pleased with them.

Keep in mind though i am more of an aggresive tread guy that wants them to back up what they state or i get pissed.:gearjamin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts