Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So watching the breaking point the other day got me thinking. With enough air, it runs clean. The dpf catches the soot, black stuff, but less soot the less regens, right? If you could run compounds and just light tuning so there is little to no soot the dpf would not plug up as fast. At least that's how its been working in my head or am I missing something here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not looking for a ton of power, just a little and less regens while being emissions compliant.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
If you could get a DPF from an OTR truck and get everything to work you might have a chance. I think you would run into problems getting enough air out of the system to make much of a difference.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That is something I have thought about. If you can get enough air and have the right tunning then why wouldn't it work. I think this is something that is going to have to be looked t in the near future. I mean how long can we really get away with deletes before some bureaucrat decides that this has to stop.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what Dustin was saying on another thread. Rob has a non stock turbo and is tuning with dpf in place. The stock turbo doesn't work well enough to clean up any better. What we really need to do is stand up to the EPA and remind then we pay their salaries.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
That's what Dustin was saying on another thread. Rob has a non stock turbo and is tuning with dpf in place. The stock turbo doesn't work well enough to clean up any better. What we really need to do is stand up to the EPA and remind then we pay their salaries.

That's never worked with anything run by the government. They always find a way to pay for the things they want. Only time a budget matters is when its something the people want.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I think its possible, but with mild tuning. Someone would have to experiment and see. Twins flow a lot more air but I would think a DPF could handle that.

Although the exhaust "looks" clean there is still quite a bit of PM exiting that tailpipe.

·
Registered
124 Posts
well the ford 6.4 has a twin set up and they go into regen more often than the duramax. i have a friend that has a 2010 f 350 6.4, he has sooo many problems and goes into regen twice per fill up, his mileage is about 8mpg!

So watching the breaking point the other day got me thinking. With enough air, it runs clean. The dpf catches the soot, black stuff, but less soot the less regens, right? If you could run compounds and just light tuning so there is little to no soot the dpf would not plug up as fast. At least that's how its been working in my head or am I missing something here.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Hey guys,

I am doing a full motor build on my 08 LMM and I WILL be running the DPF on the truck. It will have 60% over injectors, dual fueler, and our DuramaxTuner Twin kit. Our estimated completion date is mid summer. I will keep you guys updated on the progress as time goes on. Also I will have pics and results on DuramaxTuner's Facebook -Bob

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Hey guys,

I am doing a full motor build on my 08 LMM and I WILL be running the DPF on the truck. It will have 60% over injectors, dual fueler, and our DuramaxTuner Twin kit. Our estimated completion date is mid summer. I will keep you guys updated on the progress as time goes on. Also I will have pics and results on DuramaxTuner's Facebook -Bob
Things gonna be even more of a sleeper with the built engine AND DPF intact. Gonna be awesome.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
well the ford 6.4 has a twin set up and they go into regen more often than the duramax. i have a friend that has a 2010 f 350 6.4, he has sooo many problems and goes into regen twice per fill up, his mileage is about 8mpg!
Lots of reasons for that, I know the LML uses a larger DPF and regens about every 1000mi, They could find a way to stuff the LML unit under the LMM and gain some run time between regens, and maybe tune the regen cycle to be more efficient with the larger DPF.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder if we could switch to the larger DPF and reprogram it for the longer term. Just trying to increase the time between regens. Semi DPF and twins maybe? That would be the only reason for a stack. Haha

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts