Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy my first duramax. I'm dealing on an 07 but have started hearing about lots of problems with the allison transmission. Can anyone enlighten me. I will use this truck for hauling my 3 horse trailer. Currently have an 04 3/4 ton GMC, very happy with it but want a duramax. thanks

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
You will have no worries as long as you don't start using crazy HP programs. The only problems that I know of are self inflicted by the owner. The allison is a very stout tranny. You will be very happy with it and to have the 6th gear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm dealing on an 07 but have started hearing about lots of problems with the allison transmission.
:confused: Who have you been talking to? I pull around 15-20k every monday and 8000 lbs the rest of the week and have not heard one peep out of my tranny. It pulls so good, if i were not scared my trucks suspension would crumble i would pull 30k.

the truck you are looking at will laugh at that 3 horse trailer:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's a reason they got those big stamps on the side of the new trucks that say "Allison transmission" GM is damn proud of it and they should be.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
100k on my 05 ally and i abused that sucker and i never had any trouble but i did replace it due to better performance seeing i have 500hp the stock ally didn't have enough,i have hauled some heavy loads with my 05 LLY,such as one time with 41k gross weight but on a regular bases aroung 20k,the allison is a amazing tranny but it does have a limmit if you add more then 90hp to 100hp extra you will run into trouble..good luck

·
Banned
41 Posts
Check what tranny is in the Forces vehicles, from tanks down,, Allison. From what I can find, stay away from less expensive programmers. I know from a friend who has one, Banks seems to work with NO problems. Expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts