Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey John just to clear up a few of your concerns on the Ford 6.0 PSD, the oil leaks have been a lot of minor things that have been fixed for the newer years like the 05 and 06 trucks. The only real thing that they haven't fixed is the fact that there aren't enough head bolts and many people have had gasket failures with them. They fail mostly because of the higher hp chips (mild ones have done well) when the turbo pushes so much boost into the engine, and the extreme pressure causes the bolts to stretch....and then comes the problem. They're not going to fix it because Ford is actually coming out with another all new powerstroke for either the 07 or 08 year. It's a 6.4 and has been heavily rumored to be a twin/staged turbo engine, with a common rail fuel system and other new to the PSD things. It's still in testing and so far it's been said that all the 6.0 problems will not carry over to it. I think Ford learned their lesson.

·
Registered
269 Posts
True, the head bolts are stretched....they're Torque-to-yield and already stretched enough.
I too prefer to have a manual transer case. That's how my old 95 chevy was, floor shifted and not button or knob operated. I don't mind getting out to unlock my hubs either, so long as they're going to hold up longer than autos. No matter how good the GM duramax engines are, i'll never buy a heavy duty truck with an independent front end....especially with the added weight of a diesel over the top of it. I'm not saying it's not a bad supsension or weak by any means, but come on...it's a truck, and if you want it to ride like a car put a car suspension on it and see how it holds up. My 99 solid axle F250 PSD rides better than my 95 chevy z71 with IFS. And how long will it take GM to beef up the tie rods? I've seen those bend countless times, although they were on trucks with mods. I do like the GM trucks, they are capable. But I still think they should really rework them. My uncles 02 crew still looks and feels a lot smaller than my 99f250 crew. Even the stock tires on it are somewhat puny looking. The duallys look pretty nice with the molded in fender, but what happens if you get a hole in the fender itself, replace the entire bed???
As for the dodge I've never heard that it's built in Mexico, but i'm disputing it. I think the cummins is just as good an engine as the other two. But like I said....it's got a solid front axle so i'd but it before a GM. Only complaints about dodge is they wimped out on a true crew cab when the newer trucks came out a few years back, then completely overdid it with the megacab. Some days I like it, other days I think that extra body behind the back doors looks stupid and they should have just matched or slightly outdid the CC's that Ford offers. Why they didn't just get it right to begin with is beyond my understanding.....And they can't build a good enough tranny to really hold up behind that high powered cummins. Other than that, solid truck, i'd buy one.
Even though I own a PSD I don't entirely favor the Ford. They've all got strong and weak points. In fact my next truck is probably 80% likely to be a cummins. I've had a Chevy that I was very pleased with, and I've been more than pleased with my Ford. Now I think i'm ready to try a Dodge and see what happens....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Interesting post. I thought that all the super duty trucks were made either at the kentucky truck plant or in canada. I haven't ever heard of them being made in mexico....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey Runnin I have a friend who worked at Cummins in Columbus, Indiana last year. I live in Indianapolis. I'll see what he tells me..
As for the Cummins, I do like the cummins a lot. I'd love to have a 5.9 in my F250. But i'm more than satisfied with my Power Stroke. The best selling pickup surrounding it just that much more.
Keep in mind, no matter what diesel engine you choose you're going to get a terrific engine no matter what.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I never said it wasn't stout. I'm saying I don't want it under my heavy duty truck. I've seen a lot of broken IFS parts at truck events...not near as many with other suspension setups

·
Registered
269 Posts
Although I would rather have a coil spring setup on my truck than the leafs.....I like the tighter turning radius...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.