Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been a member for a few years but rarely have I posted because i usually find an answer before I need to....

I'm a technically proficient backyard mechanic and have worked on my vehicles for years. I have a 2009 LMM with 228,000km on it that I've owned for 5 years and approximately 10,000km per year (was purchased from the 1st owner who drove it to 190,000km mostly highway). Thus far, have never had a problem with the DPF or the EGR, other than having triggered a check engine light two years ago for the EGR sensor which was reset and went away after immediately giving it a run on the highway for an hour. It's never been in limp mode and is primarily used for our holiday trailer or on the highway with little city driving otherwise. Aside from some oil and air filter changes, front suspension parts, shocks, brakes, batteries and driveline fluids, I haven't had to replace anything in the engine bay. Ever.

I know some day i'm likely to experience problems with the DPF and EGR. I've been reading continually here and elsewhere on doing these deletes. I've found myself reading so much that I'm a little confused on the following...

I am considering doing the deletes of the DPF and EGR as a somewhat preventative action before I run into any future problems. I would want to use EFI live and tune toward reliability and fuel economy rather than high power. I would like to put a 4" exhaust on it. I would like to do a cold air intake, an EGR delete/Y-bridge pipe system, the LB7 up-pipe, a new downpipe.

1. If I am "making it breathe better" like this, do I need to be concerned about the stock exhaust manifolds or the driver side up pipe as well?
2. Am i generating enough new horsepower or torque that I need to be thinking about headgaskets and studs?

... what I'm getting at, and I'm struggling a little at how to describe it, is that my intention is to make this machine last longer than it might in it's stock form and let the engine work a little easier to achieve my towing needs. Or by starting this process, am i likely to open Pandora's box and need to upgrade more components? I do understand the motto that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am aware that there is the option to just tune the EGR system off and leave the components in place but i'm not sure whether i'm losing out on an opportunity to make it better by replacing those parts for "easier breathing". To the knowlegeable people on this site I would appreciate your guidance.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Sounds like you have had good luck so far. If I was in your situation, I would leave the emissions alone and maybe just do a PVC re-route to keep oily vapors out of the engine. I would also concentrate on better fuel and oil filtration. That's it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
There's bound to be something of value to you in my build thread

Lessons Learned:
1) buy the lift kit. Level kits are for those who looking for the feeling of regret. NOTE: stock 17s wont work on a lift kit so this will cost some coin
2) leave the cat in place. I still need to put mine back but the drone from having a straight system does get annoying. (D_R_C specifically stated this in some other thread that i'm too lazy to link to)
3) $40 fuel hose that doesnt need to be replaced is cheaper now when you have easy access to it then later on when its football season and you get to spend 2 hours and $40 on the same hose :wink2: (note: i didnt actually replace that $40 hose. I just avoid driving the rig during football season:frown2: )

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would want to use EFI live and tune toward...fuel economy
I dont believe my mpg's have changed much since doing the mods and I have documented every fill up since I bought the pickup in 2014. I'm sitting at 15.52 mpgs avg over the past 50 fill-ups (note: some 'fill-ups' are just topping the tank off, <1/4tank fillup). Last fill up was @ 127,541 miles, $2.389/gal, 20.399 gal, 15.05 mpgs.

All that to say... knock increased economy off the justification list. Theres a chance you might see an increase but, if you buy a ticket, there's also a chance for you to win the lottery too :smile2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for responding.

Knotreally, your build thread has many things in it to help me. Thanks also for the comments on fuel economy; in my mind it wasn't so much about justification for doing it as it was about inferring that i'm not trying to build much more power so that I don't start running the almost inevitable road of "well i upgraded this so it's time to upgrade the next weak component to handle the extra horsepower or torque, then have to update that next part afterward, and so on and so on..." I'm more interested in the reliability and am not interested in looking at turbos or head studs or headgaskets for as long as I can. I'm not a performance junky. I just want to make it last a long time. Also, you mentioned above leaving the cat in... any comments on adding in some type of muffler?

Here in Alberta, we still have little government interest in targeting these sorts of emissions deletions and no annual certification appears in sight due to the cost of implementing such a structure. Down east in Ontario and in parts of lower B.C., it seems that the government is a little more interested in the tractor trucks and other commercial equipment but I could see the individual enthusiast getting caught up in the crosshairs. So for me it's a good time to do it while there are manufacturers still interested in selling these wonderful OFF ROAD ONLY OF COURSE kits to guys like me...

·
Vendor
1,169 Posts
Our customers report a little more power and a little quicker spool up, but most say nothing about MPG.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I take it that nobody sees anything from my original post that i want to change out that seems likely to start causing issues with the remaining system? Again, lookig for that long life and reliability more than anything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks. I take it that nobody sees anything from my original post that i want to change out that seems likely to start causing issues with the remaining system? Again, lookig for that long life and reliability more than anything.
I have an lmm with 375k km. I still have the egr system but have the dpf deleted. Hasnt caused any issues the 6 years iv owned it. Iv thought about deleting egr as at my kms, it's probably pretty gummy in there. But who knows lol

I'm from Alberta too

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts