Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lb7 2001 duramax 2500hd
I've had this problem for a while. Coolant overflow tank is constantly overflowing, so I have to top it off. It sprays everywhere on passenger side wheel well it comes out of the attached overflow tube next to the cap not from the cap I've changed the cap just to be sure, still overflows I've looked for leaks I had two that I could see from turbo coolant hose and upper radiator hose slow leaks though fixed them it still overflows I'm not sure what to do next I just don't want it to be head gaskets or cracked head I noticed when it's idling I see constant bubbles coming out of the hose that goes from radiator to overflow not sure if that helps and also would a leak even cause overflowing? let me know what you guys think and if there's anything I can do to save my truck!

·
Registered
2006 silverado 3500 4x4,cclb,LBZ.
18 Posts
HG time sorry

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Time for head gaskets.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Mine does the same. Never overheats or runs bad. Upper radiator hose stays hard all the time and it will push some coolant out the overflow. I still drive mine, but only about 4500 miles a year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,257 Posts
So what is your take on headgasket sealer?
Waste.
With the design of the heads, where the leak develops and pressurizes the coolant system, is a failure at the cylinder fire ring.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You have 3 choices.
Run it like it is, which i personally would never do.
Sell the pickup.
Fix it and keep it.
Diesels can be expensive and you better know that before buying one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure about the 6.0 but I'm always seeing people have head gasket issues with our trucks I dont have any other symptoms besides the constant overflowing of coolant no oil crap in the coolant and oil is not a milkshake and no white smoke so maybe mines not that bad... Yet😢

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure about the 6.0 but I'm always seeing people have head gasket issues with our trucks I dont have any other symptoms besides the constant overflowing of coolant no oil crap in the coolant and oil is not a milkshake and no white smoke so maybe mines not that bad... Yet😢
F

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I have researched the Duramax will not mix oil with the water. A telltale sign is constant bubbling in the reservoir and hard pressurized upper radiator hose. If I fill my reservoir it will dump out the reservoir or a good amount of coolant and then I could drive it for a couple months or so with what coolant is left in it

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can go for less than a week and it's almost empty
If your truck came in my shop and it had the symptoms you're describing I would tell you it needs head gaskets. If a Duramax, Powerstroke or Cummins is pressurizing the cooling system to where it blows out the overflow under load then it's normally head gasket time. The gaskets fail ever so slightly and let combustion pressure enter the cooling side. They don't act like a lot of gassers where they mix oil in coolant and make a milk shake. I've never seen a newer diesel do that. If you replace them just do yourself a favor and spend the extra $600 and install head studs. Also unless your truck has a ton of miles don't bother with a valve job. I've done lots of head gaskets on Duramax and never had one need a valve job. My machine shop guy does lots of Duramax heads. Just my $02

·
Registered
33 Posts
Definitely HG’s. I drove mine for almost a year with no issues! But what you wanna do if you’re going to wait is to figure out the level of coolant the truck will run without it puking coolant all over the place, all the time. First thing is you will have to remove the thermostats and drill holes in them to keep the coolant passing thru all the time. If not, u can get them air locked and they won’t open, which is really bad. Next, take an empty coolant jug (remove the cap) and squeeze it down in the engine bay next to the coolant reservoir, then put the overflow tube into the jug so when it pukes it out, u can dump it back in. I know it sounds a little crazy but trust me it works, and I know a lot of people who had done it before me that had driven like that for up to 2 years. We all did for the same reason of saving money to pay for the job! But it’s a pita in the winter with those holes in your Tstats cuz it’s a real B**** to get any heat out of it haha

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whats considered high mileage I'm at 240,000+ and how would you go about diagnosing it in order to find out if it is in fact my head gasket?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's where my girlfriends dad just told me to do that yesterday its a good idea although I dont recall him saying anything about drilling the tstats.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went a while with mine before I had to do drill them. I came home one day for a couple minutes so left the truck running. Came outside and saw coolant pouring out underneath my truck!!! The upper radiator hose was still cold and my temp guage was still showing buried at 160 which I knew was NOT accurate. Started it and shut it off a couple times before it allowed the coolant to pass thru. My very good friend who’s a good duramax mechanic told me why that happened and he fixed it by drilling the holes. Never had a problem after that cuz coolant passed thru constantly. Like the other guy said, get the ARP studs (not the cheap knock off junk) and probably grade C gaskets and never look back

1 - 20 of 27 Posts