Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So being new to the diesel life has given me an idea. I have a 2005 chevy Tahoe z71 with the 3.7 vortec. The Tahoe is our back up vehicle now and has 185 grand on it. I have been shopping and researching for a while now thinking of swapping it over to a crate 383, however I am in love with my the new Duramax we have and may have changed the plans. I am new to diesel all together and this would be my first build by myself. I was gonna air the idea here and see what you pros think.
First off has anyone done this? I have checked all my dimensions and shouldn't have a problem making the max fit. The transmission on the other hand could be a different story. I love the D/A combo, and that's what's in our 05 Max. The Tahoe though I am thinking more on the speed side, and don't want to deal with limp mode when it's time to drop that hammer. There are plenty of speed set up trans out there, but MAN THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. Are there any solid duramax/transmission combos that any of you think would fit and provide that quickness?
My other concern is the suspension. The Tahoe right now is stock 4x4 with 22inch rockstars and 26in rubbers on it (probably why I am worried about the trans). The suspension now is the stock Z71 suspension. Since I have no clue if the z71 duramax's is the same as the gas burners I was wondering should I upgrade it? I know obviously I am gonna make some performance changes as I want better control, but can the rest of it hold up to the weight of the new crate dura/trans? Or do you all think I am gonna be replacing components on a regular basis?
Are there any other concerns you all can think of? Suggestions? Input? Negative comments? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If i was gonna do this swap it would be with a 2500 suburban.Half the battle is done then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've never done a dmax swap into another gm product, but I have swapped different engines into cars.
I'm thinking you'll probably have to gut the Tahoe. It just isn't an engine and transmission, you'll be swapping modules/computers, fuel pump, wire harnesses throughout, most if not all the accessories in, on, near or around the engine and in the cab along with suspension and steering. What you don't swap you'll be trying to figure out how to make it work and wondering why this module on the Tahoe has 6 wires when the same looking module on the silverado has 4.

In all honesty, I've seen people try to do things like this, and most of the time they end up with two unusable vehicles. So unless you're prepared to spend more time and money than you should, just leave it alone.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Getting a crate duramax isn't enough, you are going to need a complete donor vehicle for all of the electronics and ancillaries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts