Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone. I want to put a lbz in my 2004 burb. The problem is I don't want to buy a doner truck. I was hoping I could just find all the parts on eBay. So my question is what are all the parts I will need to order? I was thinking about keeping my current 1500 diffs. So I know I need the lbz engine, Allison transmission, t case, lbz instrument cluster, 4x4 controller. What am I missing from that list? Also do I need new fuel tanks or can I use the current one?

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to keep the diffs because I just had the rear rebuilt but I dont need to keep them. What's the best site to look on for a wrecked one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
we do this for a living so let us offer you some sound advise, I would never recommend a 1500 Dmax project as a first time build, it is very extensive, go 2500.

A) Dont build a 1500 906 (Suburban Body) SUV, it has no resale value as its not 3/4 ton. Also you will need to do radical frame alterations not necessary on the 2500. You will blow the 8.5" rear diff out if you don't de-tune the LBZ.

B) When we build 1500 706 (Tahoe Body) as go fast toys they always get 11.5" Diffs

C) When we build these we start with complete donors for 2 reasons
1) You dont know the condition of a motor on the ground, actual miles, maint history
2) You will spend far more in time & money tracking everything down, a whole LBZ p/u will set you back 10K traditionally, the LLY & LB7 drop the cost 1500+/- per step backwards, not worth it IMO.

You are venturing down a fun adventure but remember you are building a 7-10K SUV into a 25K +/- SUV and you will invest a solid 10-12K to build it. When investing that kind of money do it right, then you will have the resale value and a relatively maint free product.

Just some free advise from a co that builds 4 per month :)
take it for what its worth
So to do the 1500 it's not just as simple as swapping in 3/4 ton axles? Is there custom fab stuff that needs to be made? If that's the case ill just have to wait untill I hve 20k saved up and send it on down to Florida.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Alright so I found a burb just like mine in a 2500 and they will do a straight across trade. With my z71. I really like the z71. Would the z71 parts fit on the 2500?

·
Registered
8 Posts
we do this for a living so let us offer you some sound advise, I would never recommend a 1500 Dmax project as a first time build, it is very extensive, go 2500.

A) Dont build a 1500 906 (Suburban Body) SUV, it has no resale value as its not 3/4 ton. Also you will need to do radical frame alterations not necessary on the 2500. You will blow the 8.5" rear diff out if you don't de-tune the LBZ.

B) When we build 1500 706 (Tahoe Body) as go fast toys they always get 11.5" Diffs

C) When we build these we start with complete donors for 2 reasons
1) You dont know the condition of a motor on the ground, actual miles, maint history
2) You will spend far more in time & money tracking everything down, a whole LBZ p/u will set you back 10K traditionally, the LLY & LB7 drop the cost 1500+/- per step backwards, not worth it IMO.

You are venturing down a fun adventure but remember you are building a 7-10K SUV into a 25K +/- SUV and you will invest a solid 10-12K to build it. When investing that kind of money do it right, then you will have the resale value and a relatively maint free product.

Just some free advise from a co that builds 4 per month :)
take it for what its worth

On average what do you guys usually pay for a doner? Also do you need a custom made drive shaft. If so where do you get them? And what's a good site to look for doners?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey thanks for all the good info so far! I have a 2500 suburban and am looking for a wrecked truck now. Anyways I wanted to know if you could tell me where you get your custom drive shafts? Would you be able to help me out with the custom parts once I begin the conversion?

Thanks, Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts