Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
About 5 months ago I converted my 03 duramax diesel to run on used veggie oil. I am very happy with it, and I suggest it to others. If you have questions on it don't hesitate to ask... here are some pictures of the conversion... http://www.cardomain.com/id/cblfhs
click on the information about my truck and check it out!

Chris

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
ive thought pretty seriously about doing this but i heard that you have to spend a ton of time filtering the used oil and theres a lot of work to do instead of just pumpin and goin, is thiss true? i dont have much spare time on my hands and that would be a problem if it was time consuming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
WVO is a great way to go if you follow the rules. Like making sure it's up to temp and purging before shut down. Alot of TDI guys are starting to shy away from it do to very bad tings happening to their motors. I personally think a lot of their problems are coming from water in the oil. So make sure you filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
filtering

WELL
the filtering thing doesn't take much time. I just put it first through a 5 micron filter, and then through a 1 micron filter bag, and I have an inline 2 micron filter as well. I always pump off the top to prevent using oil w\ fuel, and I try to let the oil settle out as well. sometimes though, on road trips, I don't have time to let the oil settle out. I find taco bell to be a pretty good source... some of their locations have clean, clear oil.

-chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
o and I bought a kit from golden fuel systems, the full kit w\ a 100 gallon tank ran me around 2500 shipped to my house. im happy w\ it. If you do decide to get a kit from them, please tell them Chris Block referred you (It doesn't hurt you and it means I get like 50 bucks store credit, and you get a free DVD)

let me know if you have any questions about it
Chris
[email protected]

I definitely suggest converting yours and sticking it to foreign oil companies... plus you save $$s

·
Registered
8 Posts
be very careful with veggie oil things can turn bad very fast i have a 02 chevy duramax in my shop right now the guy also had a golden fuel systems kit 120 gallon tank the pollock valve failed he didnt notice it... so now hes already bent his valves due to the cold veggie all stock fuel system has to be cleaned also and of the looks of it a new fuel tank he flooded the diesel tank with veggie for about a month... who knows what his rings and injectors look like something tells me not good... just make sure u keep a check on them valves u got (run on diesel disconnect the veggie sending line youll leak air if the valve is bad) i would get a new valve like a hydraforce and add a heat exchanger before the valves.

o yea man i have found if u bypass the stock fuel filter on veggie (put the valves after the diesel filter) youll help yourself out in the long run sorter purge times and the kit doesnt send all that veggie back to the veggie tank it goes to your diesel tank which on a low tank and cause problems bypassing the filter means that much less veggie in your diesel tank each purge..but the real way to fix that is add a return to the veggie tank and get 2 3 way valves and do a real purge cycle

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK. I don't know how the valves bent. I don't see this happening unless the engine is trashed with Vegie oil in the engine oil resulting in loss of oil flow but taking out a timing chain. I don't see how this is possible. I would expect to spin a rod bearing long before taking out a timing chain or causing low engine compression resulting in a hard start.

It does sound like you know something about Vegie oil and running it in the truck. I have a lift pump to keep cool diesel flowing over the FICM module so I don't run into the FICM being a sponge and causing cold start issues or taking out a FICM module with hot oil. Never share filters is what I was told. Try washing out a paint roller with a water gun. Doesn't work and basically, that is what you are trying to do if you share a fuel filter.

I also agree with two valves and heat exchangers. I'm actually in the process of adding another heat exchanger and third valve to heat my diesel which I am hoping will heat my high pressure pump and injectors before switching in the cold this winter. So far, no issues but it does take a couple miles of driving to bring the fuel temp up to 125F+ after switching to VO once it reaches 130F or so. This has me nervous every time but so far, it is still running.

Good luck all who are trying the VO thing. I am not sure I will ever pay off my investment but it is pretty cool to do. Last mileage between Diesel fill ups was 950 miles. Best has been just under 1400 miles. I'm hoping for 2300 or more miles over Christmas during a long road trip. I'm hoping I can leave with a full tank of Diesel and come back with over 1/2 tank running the rest on VO. Of course I will have to fill the VO tank but heck, if I don't have to pay for Diesel. What a plus.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am new to this, actually just started researching before I go buy a diesel truck.

I know a guy that has a veg system in his truck from what I understand his has the filtering built in. He drives up to the business he is getting his oil from and sucks it right into his truck and it filters in the tank in the back of his truck. Has anyone seen a system like this?

I will try to contact him to see which system he has and exactly how it works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A persons filtering and dewatering process all depends on what they expect out of the vehicle and how long they want it to last. If they have little $ in their car and don't expect it to last very long, that is one way to drive on VO. He will kill the engine in a short time.

This individual may not be telling his entire process. Maybe he filters as he pumps into his transport container then when he gets it home, he processes it a lot further before actually burning it in his truck.

I have WAY to much $$$ in my truck and system to treat it like that. I presonally take a lot of steps to make sure I am putting the best fuel in the truck that I can make. I have heard people saying they get 1000 miles out of a filter. I've gone 6200 miles now on the original truck filter with zerio signs of problems. I believe that my experience is due to the steps I take to ensure the fuel is clean. It takes more time and money to begin with but that is what I am doing.

I would caution you in thinking running on VO is easy and no different than going to the gas station and filling up. If that is the way anyone looks at it, they better have some good walking shoes and some really good friends that will come bail them out when it comes time to tow the vehicle home after it is dead.

Please before you jump into this, read everything you can find to understand what it takes to make this work. It is a wonderful project and experience. Almost never ending as you will always think of a "better" way to make the mouse trap.

It really is fun. I do find there are a lot of people out there that jump into this a little unprepared in the amount of work it can require.

Let me know if I can help.
Steve

·
Registered
86 Posts
Could you please elaborate on the filtering steps you take. Pictures would also be great if you have any.

Thank you

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Guys - I run UVO or WVO which ever, and the key issue is FILTERING and WATER SEPARATION. I have not had problem one, and I enjoy making the product. It does take time if you do it right, but with the cost of the Dmax, I wouldn't take any short cuts. I have not filtered as low as 1 or 2 micron, but do filter to 5 micron and have had no problems. I change my filters on a regular basis and before they are clogged up. I am semi retired and have some extra time on my hands and enjoy making the fuel and saving some money! Now if I could just get it to burn in the furnace!:drink

·
Registered
23 Posts
Patches 4 could you elaborate on your filtering system dewatering system. Im currently looking to run wvo but not sure of the time involved or the dewatering. i dont want to mess up my truck thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, if you are concerned about the time involved, maybe you better rethink this. When mixing UVO and diesel, I run it through a fuel water separating filter and 5 micron whole house filter. After that it is pumped through another fuel/water seperating filter and another 5 micron filter and put into the delivery tank. When it is pumped from there into the vehicle it is once again put thorugh the same filters. When I get the oil it is a med to dark brown color. After it is mixed and filtered, it is a very light tan color and nearly clear sometimes. I have bore scoped my tractor cylinders and found them to be as clean as new and no marks in the walls or piston. But time?? Yes, it does take time, and some expense initially with minor continuing expense such as filters, ect..You will need some space to do all of this that is heated in the winter months. Oh, and let me tell you, no matter how careful you are, it is not a matter of IF you will have a spill, it's a matter of WHEN and how bad! I really enjoy doing it. I have learned to wear only certain cloths, because you can't get the oil stains out and that keeps the old lady out of my hair, so with that accomplished, only thing left to do is have fun!:drink

·
Registered
10 Posts
WVO in a Duramax

Hey guys great forum. I have an 06 duramax and ive been running the Golden fuel systems Nomad kit. Not a bad kit but there are a few things i would and have changed about it. Anyway to the point. has anyone else had any trouble with their Fuel regulator? Mine just went out and according to te dealership it was due to the WVO. Im getting a Fuel system/rail pressure- Too high DTC. They say the higher viscosity of the WVO is what caused it and is what "busted" my regulator. I called GFS and they confirme dthey have had issue with duramax's fuel systems but most of the time it was the pressure sensor. Im a big fan of running WVO and dont want to stop. But i also dont want to repeatedly replace my FPR. Anyone have any ideas or comments? i never switch to WVO till the engine has been at operating temp for at least 5-10miles as the oil is heated by the engine coolant. And i have a Bullydog PMT tuner installed so im wondering if that may have to do with it also.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think the big difference with me is that I mix the WVO and diesel and don't run it straight. There is very little difference between the thickness of my mix and plain diesel fuel. I don't have a conversion kit. I know it is more costly to make the fuel this way, but the way I think is anything better than $4.50 gal. is a help. It actually costs me around $1.06 to $1.20 gal to make the fuel, depending on the price of HHO and RUG. I have never had a code on the truck since I started doing this and she runs just great. I know of guys who run a much higher concentration that have had no problems, but I have had such good luck that I don't want to take any chances. The cost of a conversion kit is fairly high although you can save alot more on the fuel. I have been using WVO, HHO and RUG for over four years and only had to change filters fairly quick in the very beginning when I ran it in 6.5 Turbo's with some miles on them. They said they wouldn't run this stuff - WRONG - they did and still do. They also said the Dmax would not run this fuel either - WRONG - it did and still does! You read about all kind of nightmares and success stories and what do you believe? Do what I did. Experiment!! Start out small and in lite doses and work your way up as you see fit. I started out running it in my Kubota in small amounts and worked my way up until she started having some minor starting issues. I backed off and everything has been good since.:drink

·
Registered
395 Posts
And i have a Bullydog PMT tuner installed so im wondering if that may have to do with it also.
I would say the Bullydog did it.:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the response! Im pretty new to posting on forums, its great to find so many other diesel minded people to talk with. Hey Patches4, what is HHO and RUG? Ive only recently heard of poeple mixing their WVO with other things
so that they could just put it straight in the tank rather then a conversion kit. Im pretty interested in this. Also does anyone have a link to or information on a fuel system schematic and specs? Theres no way im paying the dealership price to have the fuel regulator replaced on my truck. Plus id like to do alittle diagnosis myself. The only thing that indicates a problem with my truck is, when running on diesel under light load, under 2,000RPMs the engine RPMs pulses slowly about 100RPMs up and down. But when running on WVO it doesnt do this. the only real difference in the actual setup of the WVO fuel system is the fuel return from the 3way valve is routed right back into the WVO supply line before the 3-way valve. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the response! Im pretty new to posting on forums, its great to find so many other diesel minded people to talk with. Hey Patches4, what is HHO and RUG? Ive only recently heard of poeple mixing their WVO with other things
so that they could just put it straight in the tank rather then a conversion kit. Im pretty interested in this. Also does anyone have a link to or information on a fuel system schematic and specs? Theres no way im paying the dealership price to have the fuel regulator replaced on my truck. Plus id like to do alittle diagnosis myself. The only thing that indicates a problem with my truck is, when running on diesel under light load, under 2,000RPMs the engine RPMs pulses slowly about 100RPMs up and down. But when running on WVO it doesnt do this. the only real difference in the actual setup of the WVO fuel system is the fuel return from the 3way valve is routed right back into the WVO supply line before the 3-way valve. Any thoughts?
HHO (Home Heating Oil) RUG (Regular Unleaded Gasoline)
In 55 gal. I mix 38 WVO, - 15 HHO, - 2 RUG and then the recommended Lucas additive.
For me, my truck and tractors run no different then plain diesel.:drink

1 - 20 of 30 Posts