Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew I should have purchased a 4x4 but no one in the whole state of AZ had a crew cab long bed 4x4 with leather when I went to buy. It would have taken 3 weeks to a month to get it and I needed a new truck that day and had to settle for the 2wd. I love the truck and it fill the needs for me 95%. I don't do any off roading but the 4x4 option sure would come in handy a lot. I am looking for any help or advice in converting my 2wd into a 4wd.

1. How hard would it be?
2. Approximately how much should I expect to spend?
3. Has anyone here done this and how long did it take?

I know that going out and buying a new used one or a brand new one would be the best option but this is MY truck. I have had no problems with it, I know its history, and most of all I love it and don't want to get rid of it. I am searching the parts yards and junk yards for a wrecked 4wd to get all the parts from but are there any other resources I could use? Any help or advice would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Well you will need the front end parts for sure, the frame is the same so it'd workout fine I'd think? And you'd need a 4wheel drive transfercase, or find a whole 4x4 transmission, you'd need either the little knob switch or the button along with the electrical shit for it, I'm sure there is more too it but you get the idea, it shouldn't be too terribly hard, my buddy switched over a tundra that was2x4 and now is 4x4, never asked what it took though

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Honestly you would probably be better off trading in your 2wd...but if there is a will, there is a way. I would see if you could find a wrecked one that you can take all the parts from.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
He says he doesn't wanna trade it in because it's been good to him. I'm sure another truck would be just as good to him, but it's what he wants.
Possibly look into a straight axel conversion?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Get parts from junkyard. You should talk to [email protected] IIRC he told me he's doing the same thing to his 2wd project.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
He says he doesn't wanna trade it in because it's been good to him. I'm sure another truck would be just as good to him, but it's what he wants.
Possibly look into a straight axel conversion?
I understand that he doesnt want to get rid of the truck, but for the time and extra cost of doing everything (and he may have issues after doing such a modification that makes his truck less dependable or eats front tires). If he has the extra money to blow on that, I would think it would be much cheaper to just get a 4wd truck. That's just my opinion though. If he does do it, I want him to report back on how much it cost to do it.

Yeah I would think a solid axle conversion might be better if he was going to spend the money to do this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thanks for the responses guys. I did not mean to start a debate between other members but I guess it is the nature of the beast. I belong to other message boards and it always happens. Update on my research, I have been looking into many junk yards and put in many hours looking for a donor truck and my diligence has finally paid off. I got an email today from a yard in New Mexico that just got a totalled 06 in. I told him what I wanted about 6 months ago and he came through. The whole front end is available I just have to go pick it up. 15 hr round trip. He said he will separate everything I need so all I have to do is load it up when I get there. He is only charging me $1500 for all the parts and of course then I have to do all the work. This is where I am gonna need some help. If ANYONE has done this or knows what it takes to get it done I would like them to chime in.I can do all the mechanical stuff but it is the computer stuff that I am concerned about. I will start this project hopefully next weekend if I can get the time off to go get it all this week. Any help and info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand that he doesnt want to get rid of the truck, but for the time and extra cost of doing everything (and he may have issues after doing such a modification that makes his truck less dependable or eats front tires). If he has the extra money to blow on that, I would think it would be much cheaper to just get a 4wd truck. That's just my opinion though. If he does do it, I want him to report back on how much it cost to do it.

Yeah I would think a solid axle conversion might be better if he was going to spend the money to do this.
I understand what you are saying about the tires and such but I have a great front end guy and he assured me that I will have no issues with the tires or alignment when he is done. I have been looking at doing this for a couple years now and finally am ready to pull the trigger on it.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Holy crap dude...4x4 CCLB in AZ are all over the place...where the heck were you looking?\....well maybe not with leather...but DUDE!

·
Registered
625 Posts
the front end geometry should not change on your truck, i'm not 100% sure but you shouldn't have to change the suspension. the whole diff assy should bolt in, i don't think that anything is different except the cross member and the hubs. i don't see it as a extremely hard job and the wiring part is probably there, taped up somewhere. at least for the switch anyway, i have considered this myself, but i have not researched it thoroughly. i just know what i have seen when i compared my truck to my brothers 4x4 dmax.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the front end geometry should not change on your truck, i'm not 100% sure but you shouldn't have to change the suspension. the whole diff assy should bolt in, i don't think that anything is different except the cross member and the hubs. i don't see it as a extremely hard job and the wiring part is probably there, taped up somewhere. at least for the switch anyway, i have considered this myself, but i have not researched it thoroughly. i just know what i have seen when i compared my truck to my brothers 4x4 dmax.
Yeah I have a friend that has the same year truck only it is a 4 door ext cab and not a crew cab. Everything underneath is exactly the same except for the cross member and a few other small things. Obviously the axles and the drive shaft from the transaxle and the front diff are not on mine but everything should bolt right up and my front end guy is going to line everything up for me. I am gonna try to get it done over sat and sun and have it in the alignment shop minday morning. I don't have a lift so it is all gonna be done on my back which will slow me down some but with my faithful helper (my Dad), running tools, we should be able to make it happen in two days. I am stillall ears from anyone who has done it for tips and advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Dude this is going to be an awesome thread. You'd be a fking legend if you took pics and wrote up a DIY.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dude this is going to be an awesome thread. You'd be a fking legend if you took pics and wrote up a DIY.
well not sure about writing up a DIY but I will definately take a ton of pics and post how things go and what problems I run into (hopefully not many). If everything goes well I might sit down and write up a PDF on what steps I took to get from start to finish. I am sure I will be out of order in the steps I take and have to take off and put back on many things but if I do the PDF then I will try to streamline it. That is the last thing I am thinking about right now though. I just want to make sure I have everything I need to get it done in two days because this is my daily driver and I have to work to pay for it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sounds legit

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Well you will need the front end parts for sure, the frame is the same so it'd workout fine I'd think? And you'd need a 4wheel drive transfercase, or find a whole 4x4 transmission, you'd need either the little knob switch or the button along with the electrical shit for it, I'm sure there is more too it but you get the idea, it shouldn't be too terribly hard, my buddy switched over a tundra that was2x4 and now is 4x4, never asked what it took though
you dont eed a whole new tranny. the trannys are exactly the same except for the tailshaft is a little different so he would need a new tailshaft

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Its do-able. The best thing to do is find a wrecked 4x4 donor vehicle for the swap. Switch the necessary items then sell off the left-over stuff to cover some of the cost.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Interested. Id like to do that on my truck though. Keep us inform!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Subscribed- very interesting project, look forward to hearing how it goes.

·
Registered
17 cclb are 3500.
2,289 Posts
Interested also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you dont eed a whole new tranny. the trannys are exactly the same except for the tailshaft is a little different so he would need a new tailshaft
Correct. I am going to use my current tranny and all the parts that I have waiting for me to pick up in NM should go together the way they did at the factory. I got a smokin deal on all the parts so i am a little bit ahead of the game but I think totl it may cost around 3k which is very reasonable considering to buy a new one equipped the way mine is now would cost about 60k. That is just obscene!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.