Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok so I leave in 4 hours to go pick up my new 4x4 front end to make the swap. Its gonna be a long drive but in the end well worth it, IMO. I will keep the thread updated with pics and progress reports. I sure hope I can get this done in two days!!! :help I'm gonna need it!

·
Administrator
16,967 Posts
First, I did not take the time to read through all the responses.

I understand with the proper tooling this is not that complicated to do. Duraburb made a special jig to complete this modification and for less than the add on at the dealer. I don't remember if the jig helps them weld something on or drill something in the frame, but it's very possible to do.

You might send them a message either via youtube or their DF account to see if they can offer some advice or help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did this conversion on my 08 2500 w/auto 2 months ago. After all the comments about just getting another truck...this was BS..the conversion is straight forward.
Mine is stock height.
You will need to pull the tailshaft housing and install a 4wd housing and the shorter output shaft...this is done with trans in truck.. you will need to lengthen the speed sensor appx 12". That is all that is needed trans wise. I used the manual t-case, got the shifter from GM and the floor pan has the area for the shifter already indented..easy install...just pulled the seats, console and carpet back then cut out with a cut-off wheel. As far as front frame area....you will need to cut the forward hole in the frame on the passenger side..the rear hole is already there. Make a sleeve or cut a piece of pipe to weld into the hole that you put in the frame and install the bushings. The front diff bracket on the pass side is easiest to install with bolts instead of the studs that are installed...the bolts fit in from the outside then into the frame and bracket. On the drivers side you will need to weld in the upper bracket by the gear box..got this from a wrecked truck and also the rear lower sub brace at the control arm...side to side. The rear driveshaft will need to be shortened or get 1 from a 4wd, the slip yoke is different too. The front axles will slip right in your hubs.

I spent appx $3500 total to convert my truck to 4wd...it all looks stock and works great. If anyone is interested I will get some pics of all that I had done and send out.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
^^ great info from someone who has actually done it. i want to see some pics :thumbsup

would some ECM/TCM modification not need to take place? maybe not with a manual t-case but still?

·
Registered
4 Posts
^^ great info from someone who has actually done it. i want to see some pics :thumbsup

would some ECM/TCM modification not need to take place? maybe not with a manual t-case but still?
I have not attached the "b" terminal from the t-case selector switch to pin 26 on ecm for 4wd signal and used a fused power supply to pin "a" on front diff instead of hooking it to ecm pin 72. I plan on hooking up these wires but just wanted to make sure everything worked first. The signal wire from t-case should be able to turn on the 4wd light on instrument cluster.
So far everything is great except when in 4 low and reverse only...if accel too much the ecm will shut down trans due to incorrect gear ratio detected. I tried this out once and had to put in park and it reset. That is why I am going to hook up the signal to ecm.

·
DMAX LML
595 Posts
Cant wait to see pics of this!!! Subscribed

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I have not attached the "b" terminal from the t-case selector switch to pin 26 on ecm for 4wd signal and used a fused power supply to pin "a" on front diff instead of hooking it to ecm pin 72. I plan on hooking up these wires but just wanted to make sure everything worked first. The signal wire from t-case should be able to turn on the 4wd light on instrument cluster.
So far everything is great except when in 4 low and reverse only...if accel too much the ecm will shut down trans due to incorrect gear ratio detected. I tried this out once and had to put in park and it reset. That is why I am going to hook up the signal to ecm.
sweet deal man, sounds like you have it all figured out. you should do a short write up and have it made a sticky. lots of people end up asking this question and you're one of the only folks i know who has done it

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
I did this conversion on my 08 2500 w/auto 2 months ago. After all the comments about just getting another truck...this was BS..the conversion is straight forward.
Mine is stock height.
You will need to pull the tailshaft housing and install a 4wd housing and the shorter output shaft...this is done with trans in truck.. you will need to lengthen the speed sensor appx 12". That is all that is needed trans wise. I used the manual t-case, got the shifter from GM and the floor pan has the area for the shifter already indented..easy install...just pulled the seats, console and carpet back then cut out with a cut-off wheel. As far as front frame area....you will need to cut the forward hole in the frame on the passenger side..the rear hole is already there. Make a sleeve or cut a piece of pipe to weld into the hole that you put in the frame and install the bushings. The front diff bracket on the pass side is easiest to install with bolts instead of the studs that are installed...the bolts fit in from the outside then into the frame and bracket. On the drivers side you will need to weld in the upper bracket by the gear box..got this from a wrecked truck and also the rear lower sub brace at the control arm...side to side. The rear driveshaft will need to be shortened or get 1 from a 4wd, the slip yoke is different too. The front axles will slip right in your hubs.

I spent appx $3500 total to convert my truck to 4wd...it all looks stock and works great. If anyone is interested I will get some pics of all that I had done and send out.

wow great info i plan to do this in the spring when money starts rolling again lol

·
Administrator
16,967 Posts
I know Duraburb does these conversions, I would shoot them an email.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is good info, there are lots of sweet deals on the used 2wd trucks out there. They always look in better shape and have lower miles and cost at least $3000 less then a 4x4 version. You show up looking to buy a 2wd in the winter around here and they will basically give it to you as it ain't going anywhere until spring otherwise. I bought a 2wd Ram back in 2003 and when I sold it 3 years later I had to ship it to North Carolina to get any price and it was cherry with only 17,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok so I drove out to NM and the guy that had the parts to convert my truck to 4x4 had already sold them. I guess he had been talking to 3 or 4 different guys that wanted the parts and someone beat me there. I told the guy that it was really F'ed up that he knew I was driving from AZ to pick it all up and he sold them. He didn't seem to effected by it. It took 6 months to find these parts. Hopefully it soesn't take another six months. So the search continues.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Ok so I drove out to NM and the guy that had the parts to convert my truck to 4x4 had already sold them. I guess he had been talking to 3 or 4 different guys that wanted the parts and someone beat me there. I told the guy that it was really F'ed up that he knew I was driving from AZ to pick it all up and he sold them. He didn't seem to effected by it. It took 6 months to find these parts. Hopefully it soesn't take another six months. So the search continues.
oh man that sucks, those are the kind of stories no one should have to endure. Hope you find a better deal somewhere else. People should really respect first right or refusal when selling something. Looking forward to seeing your project.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
oh man that sucks, those are the kind of stories no one should have to endure. Hope you find a better deal somewhere else. People should really respect first right or refusal when selling something. Looking forward to seeing your project.
Ya , I will no longer be traveling out of state to find parts. Either they ship them to me or I pick it up locally. I have call into about 30 salvage yards here in the PHX area (there are about 200, maybe more) and hopefully one of them will come through soon. My other thought/option as stated earlier would be a solid axle swap. That would be easier to find but I am not sure about doing it.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
IMO the IFS 4x4 set up right is pretty hard to beat. My truck rides so much better than any other 3/4 or ton truck I've ever ridden in.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
I knew I should have purchased a 4x4 but no one in the whole state of AZ had a crew cab long bed 4x4 with leather when I went to buy. It would have taken 3 weeks to a month to get it and I needed a new truck that day and had to settle for the 2wd. I love the truck and it fill the needs for me 95%. I don't do any off roading but the 4x4 option sure would come in handy a lot. I am looking for any help or advice in converting my 2wd into a 4wd.

1. How hard would it be?
2. Approximately how much should I expect to spend?
3. Has anyone here done this and how long did it take?

I know that going out and buying a new used one or a brand new one would be the best option but this is MY truck. I have had no problems with it, I know its history, and most of all I love it and don't want to get rid of it. I am searching the parts yards and junk yards for a wrecked 4wd to get all the parts from but are there any other resources I could use? Any help or advice would be great. Thanks
You,my friend have brass balls..........ENTER THE SHITTIESTLY DESIGNED TRANSFER CASE ON THE PLANET.....the 263XHD Electronic shift transfer case...GOOD LUCK!!!!:rofl:neener
I love my 06LBZ,in fact it has 254k miles on it and I have driven all over the US,[it'll be on it's THIRD t case since 16k miles when I bought it outright....thank goodness for that at least!].I'd buy a 4x4 but it's your money

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You,my friend have brass balls..........ENTER THE SHITTIESTLY DESIGNED TRANSFER CASE ON THE PLANET.....the 263XHD Electronic shift transfer case...GOOD LUCK!!!!:rofl:neener
I love my 06LBZ,in fact it has 254k miles on it and I have driven all over the US,[it'll be on it's THIRD t case since 16k miles when I bought it outright....thank goodness for that at least!].I'd buy a 4x4 but it's your money
You are right it's my money! I have heard that about the electronic transfer cases in these trucks. I spoke to a few guys that solved the electronic issues so that solves that. I don't find it reasonable to pay 60k to 65k for a new 4x4 that is setup the way mine is now. That is rediculous! This is not that difficult of a project (I have found out). I have talked to a few guys that have done it and each of them told me it is actually fairly easy once you have all the parts. Just about everything bolts right up. One guy told me he had it completely done in one day with the help of a buddy. I just have to find a good donor truck but that is the problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
OK so I have switched gears on this project. I cannot find the parts needed to convert my truck to a 4x4 the way it would come from GM. So I went to a local junk yard and picked up a really good Dana 44 and I am going to do a solid axle swap. Not too sure if I should go with the manual transfer case or the electronic one. I don't think I can go manual though because of the console. Any suggestions? Any info or help on doing the conversion this way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK so I have switched gears on this project. I cannot find the parts needed to convert my truck to a 4x4 the way it would come from GM. So I went to a local junk yard and picked up a really good Dana 44 and I am going to do a solid axle swap. Not too sure if I should go with the manual transfer case or the electronic one. I don't think I can go manual though because of the console. Any suggestions? Any info or help on doing the conversion this way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Xtreme 4x4 on spike tv just did a show swapping in a solid axle in a tahoe with ifs. The tahoe was a 4x4 already, but most of the stock driveline was not reused. The show just aired last weekend. Lots of good info.

·
Registered
95 Posts
if i could do my sas swap over again i would start with a 2wd that way i could do a divorce mount t-case. like a Stak 3spd, atlas, or as simple as a early model divorce np205

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is stock height.

I would love pictures of your process and also a list of parts on what is needed if you have that.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.