Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do a flush of my coolant on my LMM soon. Living in MN temps reach -20 to -35*F at times, so I need to check the coolants concentration. When the t-stats are open and coolant is cycling, does the fluid in tank cycle through good enough to get an accurate reading on the coolant? If not, where would a guy check the coolants freezing point?

Thanks

Premium Member
Surge tank cycles, yes.

Registered
After I've flushed the system several times and am confident it's mostly water, I'll add half of system capacity straight undiluted coolant, and top off with water. This way you're assured of at least a 50% mix.

F

Registered
At -35F I would be relying on a Hydrometer, not "knowing I mixed it 50/50". No offense.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At -35F I would be relying on a Hydrometer, not "knowing I mixed it 50/50". No offense.
My thoughts exactly.. Last winter we saw -36*F one evening. I'm going to get a tester and hope that the surge tank cycles well enough to get a good reading from it. a guy might just want to pop out the bleeder and try and get the coolant from there also..would make a bit of a mess, but man a guy would be pissed to crack a block because he didn't mix it correctly.

Registered
My thoughts exactly.. Last winter we saw -36*F one evening. I'm going to get a tester and hope that the surge tank cycles well enough to get a good reading from it. a guy might just want to pop out the bleeder and try and get the coolant from there also..would make a bit of a mess, but man a guy would be pissed to crack a block because he didn't mix it correctly.

Put some miles on it and just check it via the surge tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts