Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2021 Sierra 1500 owner with the 3.0 here. If it's been covered already I apologize but I couldn't find any mention of installing an aftermarket coolant filter on the LM2. I just traded a 6.0 Power Stroke that I bought new. I installed a filter on it when I bought it and filtered out all kinds of sand from the original casting. I understand the 3.0 has a sophisticated cooling system so clean coolant seems like a really good idea but I don't find anyone selling a filter specifically for this engine. I'm wondering if that's because it's not needed or there's just not enough demand. There are lots of them available for the Power Stroke.

Anyone have any useful info?

Thanks.

· Registered
7,825 Posts
Not sure it's 'useful', but I've spent way to many hours on Duramax forums and don't recall ever hearing about a coolant filter for either application.

Definitely aware of them on large diesel applications, so it probably would have registered if I'd read about it....

· Registered
982 Posts
If you read up on how the blocks for Duramax's are made...somewhere here on the web. They are made different than the powerstroke. Not sand blasted inside or however they are truly made. Anyhow they say Duramax owners dont need to run them....With that being said. I have one on my LB7. To each his own. I think this is why they really dont sell an advertised kit for the GM guys like they do for the Ford guys.

Reactions: Mikelly2

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. When I read that the 3.0 cylinder block is made of a cast aluminum alloy it sounded all too familiar. There was plenty of residual sand in my 6.0 Ford but then there were so many other design flaws as well.

After posting this I continued to search but still didn’t find anything on the 3.0. I did find a few guys that installed them on the bigger Duramax engines. None of them found anything.

I’m not going to install one.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post.

· Registered
7,473 Posts
I run a coolant filter on my 2008 Duramax. My coolant looks like freshly make orange KoolAid. When I flush my coolant, the old looks just about like the new. Mine was home made, basically some hose, filter, filter head, and plumbing the hose in the correct place. Very easy to do. Mine is mounted in front of the passenger side wheelhouse, down low.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run a coolant filter on my 2008 Duramax. My coolant looks like freshly make orange KoolAid. When I flush my coolant, the old looks just about like the new. Mine was home made, basically some hose, filter, filter head, and plumbing the hose in the correct place. Very easy to do. Mine is mounted in front of the passenger side wheelhouse, down low.
Have you ever cut a used filter open? If so what had you filtered out?

· Registered
7,473 Posts
No, I haven't. But the coolant stays very clean whereas the coolant before that would be cloudy. I don't think I'm getting much of an improvement by continuing to run the filter, but they're cheap and I only change at 40K-50K miles interval. No doubt the first time you run the filter, you get probably 90+% of what's there as far as casting material is concerned.

Reactions: Mikelly2

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I haven't. But the coolant stays very clean whereas the coolant before that would be cloudy. I don't think I'm getting much of an improvement by continuing to run the filter, but they're cheap and I only change at 40K-50K miles interval. No doubt the first time you run the filter, you get probably 90+% of what's there as far as casting material is concerned.
I have a concern that I don't understand what they're calling the Active Thermal Management system on the LM2 with its two electric water pumps and now I want to add something to it. I can't imagine how cutting into a heater hose would hurt anything but then like I said I don't understand the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.