Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought an 03 Crew Cab 2500HD 4x4 about a week and a half ago, first diesel, and the day after driving it home I got a "Low Coolant" warning. I figured it was just low when I bought it from the dealer, topped it off thought nothing of it. Put in about 3/4L. Initially I was parking on an asphalt street so didn't notice anything. Then (3 days later) I parked on my driveway, which is sloped so the nose was up higher than the tail, and go to drive it the next day and there is a small puddle on the Passenger Rear side of the bay. Didn't have much time for a thorough check, but there was some liquid on the passenger frame rail of the truck in the wheel well, towards the rear of it.

Don't know this engine too well, but I had been running the AC the night before (Cali Problems) and it appeared the compressor was on that side of the engine, and there was no serious red color to the water on the ground or when I ran my finger through it, so shrugged it off as water dripping off the condenser. Noticed it again a day later in girlfriends driveway (again angled nose up) and became concerned because I had not been running the AC.

Now a week and a half after adding coolant, I get another "Low Coolant" warning after being parked nose up and with a puddle beneath me. So drove to school/work and then home (about 75 miles) parked it, and came back in the morning after letting it sit all night.

First thing I noticed, is that this time the small puddle was not on the passenger side of the vehicle, it was about dead center, and split in 2. Leads my to believe that it is happening about the transmission somewhere, and that it drips and runs off either side, and possibly due to the angles I was parked at before, caused it to run almost exclusively to the passenger side. That doesn't explain how it got onto the frame rail that first time though.

Upper rad hose was firm, there was pressure in the system still. Removing the cap from the reservoir released this pressure (there was audible air escaping) and I was able to squeeze the upper rad hose. Added about 3/4L of coolant again. Fired it up, no warnings. Pulled oil cap, set it on top, no blowby.

New to this engine, and not sure where to start. For today, I just parked at work, and found the most level parking spot I could and am gonna have it sit for about 9 hours and see where the puddles end up.

Initially I found a couple threads, one that sounded like it could fit was this image:

And there were multiple people saying there is a rubber coolant hose that runs to the turbo on the drivers side that can go bad, and seeing as I'm at 158k right now that sounds good..

I'm looking for insight, advice, and places to check. On a bit of a tight budget right now on account of buying this truck, but am handy with tools. I should be able to get some time to work on it in the next few days.

I know I should get it pressure tested, but if there are other common spots that I could check by hand I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks,
-nationwide

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update:

Been parked on level ground at work for 5 hours now, not a drop of anything on the ground.

For now, guess I'm gonna be backing into the driveways haha

Thanks,
-nationwide

·
Registered
204 Posts
It could be your heater core leaking and draining out the evaporator condensate drain.
Don't know if that applies to this model truck but I have seen it happen on others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey just a quick thought that may help. I am in Missouri and have noticed on a ford truck I drive that when the temperature changes a hose leaks. I only notice the leaks when the weather changes. Not sure if that helps but just thought I would throw it out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, I finally got a chance to crawl under the truck (work has been crazy) and I think Thundermaxx got it right, it's definitely water dripping (is perfectly clear, tasteless, and is not nasty when rubbed between two fingers), and there is a weep hole that it's coming from, just behind the AC condenser that comes out from the firewall, and from what I've been reading, that is the condensate drain.

Is it normal for large amounts of water to drain out of that drain? Does this point towards a bad heater core? The heater blows hot air in a reasonable amount of time. I'm currently looking for a way to check the heater core on this engine.

I'm now wondering if I am eating coolant.. No white smoke at start or idle. Have not seen any while driving. Thought I might've seen a single puff one night when under pretty heavy acceleration, but haven't been able to reproduce it.

Doing my reading up on this now, but wanted to update the thread.

Thanks again for the responses!
-nationwide

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the thread, I know it’s an old 1 but I am having water and coolant drip from driver side. I am now going to be looking for those coolant hoses going to the turbo.. see if i can find it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts