Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my truck from getting the front trans seal replaced this morning and i noticed antifreeze dripping from between the engine and trans mating surfaces. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Chuck

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE coolant leak

I really can't think of any way that could have happened but thanks for the reply.

Colud the shop possibly have messed up the head gasket???

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
check the coolant hoses for the egr cooler that go into the fire wall

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE coolant leak

Thats my next step as im thinking that it happened when the trans was removed and the rear of the engine dropped and maybe pulled on a hose or a line. Is there a casting hole in the top of the block behind the manifold that this could be funneling through ? I can't see anywhere that it is running down the side of the block.

check the coolant hoses for the egr cooler that go into the fire wall

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE coolant leak

I have now determined that the leak is coming from above on the driver side as i can see a few drops of antifreeze on the oil filter. Still looking Any ideas?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RE Coolant leak

Thanks but i have looked at that already it seems to be coming from the back of the engine. I guess im gonna have to start taking things apart to find it. I was told that the turbo is liquid cooled Is there a chance it could be coming from there?
Check the rubber O ring just above the thermostat. (It is around the black coolant pipe where it comes out of the engine to go to the radiator) I have replaced mine a few times.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE Coolant leak

I would like to but i don't know what it is Once i find out what it is i may be able to determin if it was a concidence or something that happened as a result of the work that they did. Any ideas anybody?

take it back and make them fix it

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok im headed out to the shop Im gonna start taking bolts out hopefully i will know something soon Something minor soon. Will update when i come back in.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Check the oil cooler around the coolant bypass......it's directly behind the filter right in front of the bell housing. It has studs on one side bolts 90 degrees to the other side......

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RE coolant leak

Well after a careful inspection of the top side i layed underneath with the engine running and at operating temperature and i have determined that it is definatly coming from between the mating surface of the engine im assuming adapter plate and the trans. Is there freeze plugs behind the flywheel or did the block get broke when they r&r'd the trans? I am at a loss here does anybody have anymore ideas?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RE Coolant leak

Also Does anybody have any pics of the back of a duramax block with the flywheel removed? Thanks again.
Chuck

·
Registered
742 Posts
Pressurize your cooling system. Should show any leaks you may have.

Check the front of the motor as well. Driving speeds or the fan can push fluids back along the block and heads so your leak my look as if its coming from the rear of the motor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is a plate on the block behind and below the headgasket under the up pipe. It's about 1.5" X 4".

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RE Coolant leak

Thanks for the reply Is it hid behind the trans?

There is a plate on the block behind and below the headgasket under the up pipe. It's about 1.5" X 4".

·
Registered
106 Posts
No, it's just in front of the bell housing/block seam. You may have to pull the down pipe and drivers side up pipe to get to it. You should be able to see it with a small mirror, or maybe in through the wheel well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im hearing that there is coolant passages in the plate between the engine and the trans If so that where i believe that it is coming from. Can anybody confirm the cooling passages in this plate?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts