Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It appears that is where the leak is coming from I took it back to the shop today Of course the trans has to come back out along with the lower half of the oil pan and several items on top of the engine. Where does it all end? I bought this lemon on Sept 29 Steering shaft bolt fell out on the way home luckily nobody was hurt cost me a wrecker bill, hotel, a clock spring (ouch you don't want to buy to many of them)after that an insturment panel, a front trans seal and now this coolant leak. Was kind of hoping to send this to the goody shop for some nice upgrades as these 12 second videos in a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck that still gets 20 mpg has really got my attn but i am getting very discouraged.
Chuck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow, sounds like your truck has been a handful! Hope you soon get to throw goodies at it instead of repairs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are working on the same type of problem and could use your help. This is the second time the plate on the back of the Duramax at the water jacket plate has cracked in under 500 miles. Here is a pic of the plate: Login | Facebook

We didn't make the first repair but feel like it was done correctly and there is another issue causing the plate to crack and leak. The cracks don't seem to be caused by pressure they look like torque cracks. We are replacing the u-joints and carrier bearing and inspecting the tail shaft of the trans for any signs of slippage or vibration.
Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Ok guys....anyone with info to add here would be great....I am betting on having this same problem. Just what I wanted to fix. Sounds like a wee bit of fun.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine turned out to be a small section of 3 inch by 1/2" or so coolant hose on the drivers side of the engine, that heads from the metal thermostat housing/pipe back to the turbo. It's located right under the pipe coming out of the turbo and is a bit difficult to see with everything together. I pulled the mouthpiece, silencer and pipe coming out of the turbo to get to it. The hose was pretty much smoked and for diagnosis reasons never showed wet up top, but when it leaked down it was manifesting itself as a bigger coolant leak down low. I'm guessing it was running out of the valley depending on the way that I was parked. It was usually hot enough right up by the turbo that it never looked wet up top when I looked. $3.27 later, no more problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 06' LBZ just began leaking at the same location a few days ago, coming from the weep hole at the front bottom of the trans bell housing... a mechanic told me the Duramax block has "cover plates" (2) ea. at the back of the block. No external leaks from anywhere else and coolant drains out as fast as I pour it in (when the engine is up to normal temp).

Not an accessible area without removing the trans, transfer case, cross member, etc. ARRRRRR!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yup.

Rear adapter housing cover. Totally useless.
Just good for leaks. Had mine fixed. I don't think they pulled anything out.

Only cost $350cdn......for a $1.75 gasket.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
it’s probably your oil cooler leaking
I picked up my truck from getting the front trans seal replaced this morning and i noticed antifreeze dripping from between the engine and trans mating surfaces. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Chuck

21 - 29 of 29 Posts