Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
had to add a gallon of antifreeze today and got under it while it was running and it has a pretty steady drip comin from the drivers side somewhere. anyone got some ideas.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Remove the inner fender, wash it as clean as you can before you start, then put it on stands and remove the tire if you need more access.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just drove 4 miles low coolant came on now its a real heavy stream comin down. theres coolant everywhere

·
Registered
29 Posts
go under the truck and see if its coming from the weep hole on the pump..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k just got it coming from the water pump right below the seep hole just cant tell if it comin out of it. its been leaking constantly even with the truck off. im gunna try and fill it with water and hope build some pressure up to see for sure. if it is coming from the seep hole does that mean bad water pump?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep def. comin from the weep hole, called my mech. said bad water pump, how many bolts are holdin it on? anyone ever done it without removing the fan?

·
Registered
686 Posts
yup h20 pump for sure, commom prob,

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
As said-common problem and costly to repair. Dealer wanted 1200 bux so I did it myself. Its not complicated or hard-just very time consuming. Parts were about 400 bux.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As said-common problem and costly to repair. Dealer wanted 1200 bux so I did it myself. Its not complicated or hard-just very time consuming. Parts were about 400 bux.
$400? my brand new pump only cost 68$ after tax plus 30 for fluid. at Oriellys
Qhat parts did u put on?

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Just did this job thursday. Not bad took abot 5 hours. I'll post a link to the write up I used..... Oreillys 35 bucks lifetime warranty, 5 gallons fluid, new serpentine belt. I bought all the tools I needed including a torque wrench so I have about 700 bucks in mine but I got some awesome tools now..... The lisle water pump kit was a lifesaver.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Oh yeah, and you absolutely have to remove the fan AND the harmonic balancer (or whatever it's called on these trucks) no way around it. Sorry.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is 5 gallons needed? are u flushing it all? I was told that 2 gallons is plenty to do this

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
You will use about 4 and a half gallons if not more.... didn't flush just drained.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holy $hit does that include the 50% water to dilute lol:rof

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I didn't dilute it..... I don't think you're supposed to are you?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
depends if u bought the stuff thats already premixed or not, the stuff i bought i have to dilute

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
$400? my brand new pump only cost 68$ after tax plus 30 for fluid. at Oriellys
Qhat parts did u put on?
New OEM pump (too much work to replace a bad reman) and housing about 250 bux with trade discount

Serp belt 79 bux

Fresh Coolant 45 bux

Doing it myself and saving about 775 bux-Pricesless!

If the dealer's repair charge had been about 350 or 400 I would have let them do it but 1200 was way too high. Nothing against dealers and their pricing because they are in business and have overhead but I have my limits.

PS. I had to buy a $145 Torque Wrench and socket to properly torque the Harm balancer but I don't count that because the tools still have almost 100% of their original value. Took me about 6.5 hours and I was in no rush (first time). Helped do a couple more since my first but its not one of my favorite auto repairs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just replaced my pump on thursday.. it was not fun but u do save a lot of money if u have the time take it and do it right.. follow the instructions.. oh and one thing i did as soon as all the water connections are tight fill with coolant and check for leaks before u assemble the fan, belt excetra..if u do have a leak i would hate to pull all of that stuff off again..hope it goes well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts