Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Coolant Leak

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Druid369 
#1 ·
What's the fun in owning a vehicle if you don't get to work on it right? For the past few months I've noticed a small dribble of coolant here and there mostly when my truck would be parked up on the drive way or on certain angles but today I got to work and came back out to my truck to find a nice size puddle of coolant dripping on the passenger side of my truck. I checked the hoses to the reservoir everything was dry. Its dripping down from above the idler arm. Not sure where its coming from. Don't have time to tear into it today but I thought I could get some insight from some of you folks! :drink

See less See more
#2 ·
my guess is the overflow tube that comes off the top of the tank, it drains right there. ive also noticed on mine that ever since i put on these piece of shit mishimoto radiator hoses i have a small consistent leak from the smaller hose on the pass front of the engine bay, very near where your leak seems to be.

#3 ·
Seems to be wet on the block and dry on the over flow

#4 ·
Bestv way to find the leak is pressurize the reservoir tank. You may find on at a part stores that rent tools. I bought one at HF and am satified at the quality and ability to test any coolant system.

#5 · (Edited)
Alright I need to hear it from one of you. I looks like the highest point of my leak is right where the head meets the block. I Changed the head gaskets and put ARP studs in maybe 50k miles ago. This is my first problem since. Should I try and torque the studs or am I looking at pulling the head off and putting a new gasket on?

Edit: I'm going to clear a view over the Valley of the engine. I'm having a hard time believing that's the leak. Something tells me its traveling there from a point I cant see.

Edit 2: found some orange coolant gunk on a hose in the V of the engine by the FRP.

#6 ·
Your heads should be as tight as possible. You shouldn't be able to torque them anymore. If you can well then there's one problem right there. Seems like a hg issue. Check all the hoses, radiator... it could be spraying onto the head then dripping down. A lot of those lines dry rot. Are you sure its not coming out of the coolant tank? Are there bubbles in the tank - when its running?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.