Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fixing to do my EGR delete, and have to drain the coolant. What do you guys use for coolant? How do you like it?

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Dexcool

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Dexcool only.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also, how would you go about the flush and clean part? not really positive how to do it.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Either AF850 50/50 or AF888. Good for 5+ years/150k miles

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
AF888 so you can just mix your own.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I wouldn't use anything but dexcool

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Hate Dexcool because it gums up the tank cap and thermostats. I use the Amsoil coolant in Class 8 trucks its warrantied for 750,000 miles its good enough for mine. Its concentrated so when you buy 1 gal it makes 2. Your 2005 has a drain on the bottom of the radiator. Its on the passenger side on the engine compartment side of the Rad. Drain it fill it with water run and drain again. Then fill with your choice of fluid knowing that there is about a gallon or more left in the block. :thumb

·
Registered
107 Posts
Last time I changed my coolant, I did the AMSOIL coolant. I flushing d my system two or three times and still didn't get all of the dexcool out. Don't forget to turn up the heat to open the heater core.... About a week later, my nice clean pretty AMSOIL coolant started to turn pink. Also, don't forget to use distilled water.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Dexcool doesn't "gum up" anything. Mixing it with other types of coolant causes issues.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hate Dexcool because it gums up the tank cap and thermostats. I use the Amsoil coolant in Class 8 trucks its warrantied for 750,000 miles its good enough for mine. Its concentrated so when you buy 1 gal it makes 2. Your 2005 has a drain on the bottom of the radiator. Its on the passenger side on the engine compartment side of the Rad. Drain it fill it with water run and drain again. Then fill with your choice of fluid knowing that there is about a gallon or more left in the block. :thumb
Typical answer from a snake oil...I mean amsoil dealer.

There is nothing wrong with dexcool, it gets a bad rep because the lazy ass owners of the trucks don't change it when they are supposed to. Coolant isn't meant to last forever.

I have never had a problem with any of my GM vehicles running dexcool, now all the shit I see come into the shop I work at that has been neglected by its owners looks bad, when asking them when they changed it last the answer is always, "oh I never have before"

·
Registered
514 Posts
Dex cool gets a bad wrap due to running systems low, causing air to circulate in the system, then it will "gum" up or so to say. Operator error running system low. I've worked on thousands of dex cool filled vehicle's and the only true problems come from the most neglected POS's on the road. I won't run anything but.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Dex Cool if it aint broke dont fix it

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dexcool is good.. When I changed mine I removed the lower hose also. I could see up in the water pump and it looked like it did the day it was installed from the factory. Clean and shiny. I went with the AMSOIL coolant because if I'm going to sell it, I should at least have used it at some point. Also, that was the last fluid to change in the truck to be 100% AMSOIL.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Dex, that's what the truck was designed for. If you do decide to switch brands, make absolutely sure you flush every trace of Dex out before you refill. Some brands will coagulate when mixed with even a small amount of Dex, that's what causes problems. My truck is 10 years old, never had anything but Dex in it and cooling system and tank are clean as new.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Dex, that's what the truck was designed for. If you do decide to switch brands, make absolutely sure you flush every trace of Dex out before you refill. Some brands will coagulate when mixed with even a small amount of Dex, that's what causes problems. My truck is 10 years old, never had anything but Dex in it and cooling system and tank are clean as new.
Correct!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everybody! Might do it today in the garage out of this terrible NC weather

1 - 18 of 18 Posts