Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, My buddy has a 2006 LBZ that has had a lot of pressure in the coolant tank. It’s sat for 2 weeks and still has lots of pressure. It still has good heat so we’re not sure it’s headgaskets. Today we noticed some coolant under the hood we’re both not that mechanically inclined so I will add a pictured of what we found today.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
If there is still pressure inn the coolant tank sitting overnight or longer- most likely you have a bad head gasket. You could remove the glow plugs and see if it shows signs of coolant-- think steam clean-!!

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
Might also clean or replace the coolant cap to rule it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there is still pressure inn the coolant tank sitting overnight or longer- most likely you have a bad head gasket. You could remove the glow plugs and see if it shows signs of coolant-- think steam clean-!!

If it’s not the head gasket what could it be. I got a new cap still holds pressure for 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
It has been proven that IF the cooling system holds pressure after sitting over night, most likely you have a bad head gasket.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Head gasket. I had same thing happen to mine. What I did was cracked the coolant tank cap slightly so that pressure would relieve itself while driving. I’d check on it every so often to make sure it hadn’t vibrated too loose but it never did. I drove like this for 4 months before I had time to do the heads/wasn’t in middle of winter.. just be gentle on her. Periodically you might lose your heater but just jump out and squeeze the hose going to the core and it will get any air bubbles out.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
plus with bad head gasket you usually see white smoke and it smells sweet
Not always. As the issue progresses it may get to that point, but generqlly the first sign is a hard upper rad hose, like squeezing a pop bottle or a tennis ball. If theres pressure once the truck has sat and cooled still, 99% of the time its head gaskets. Dont worry, eventually you will come to terms and fix it. As for the "coolant" in your picture, that looks like the PCV lines, thats the T that vents to the turbo to burn the vapor. All your seeing is oil, not coolant.

Early 06 models still used the LLY headgaskets so there prone to fail. Late model had a redesigned gasket. One is welded and one is riveted...dont ask me which went to which. Im going through headgasket denial myself right now, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not always. As the issue progresses it may get to that point, but generqlly the first sign is a hard upper rad hose, like squeezing a pop bottle or a tennis ball. If theres pressure once the truck has sat and cooled still, 99% of the time its head gaskets. Dont worry, eventually you will come to terms and fix it. As for the "coolant" in your picture, that looks like the PCV lines, thats the T that vents to the turbo to burn the vapor. All your seeing is oil, not coolant.

Early 06 models still used the LLY headgaskets so there prone to fail. Late model had a redesigned gasket. One is welded and one is riveted...dont ask me which went to which. Im going through headgasket denial myself right now, but it is what it is.
Head gasket denial! Haha love it, that is a perfect way of describing it. Like I said earlier as long as you don’t push your truck/tow etc you can most likely get by while you prepare funds/place to do the job. Just crack the reservoir cap open slightly so that pressure has a place to bleed off while you drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts