Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sierra 2500HD crew cab
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heya, new to the forum. Recently upgraded from an '06 Silverado "hybrid" to a 2013 2500HD Duramax (Sierra SLT). I bought it about 5 or 6 months ago through an auction.

I'm having an occasional coolant issue (passenger/surge side of tank is full and overflows a little, but still have air in the driver's side of the coolant tank). I followed the factory fill procedure including the steps to get the air out, but as it cooled it still ended up with air to 1" below the 'min' line, about at the seam (as you can see in the left side of the photo), while the surge side is about 3/4 full. Is this likely a bad cap? Or a bad tank that's letting in air instead of drawing coolant from the surge side?

I'd also like to eliminate turbo pressure in the EGR + an EGR coolant leak as being a possible culprit, before I consider head gaskets.
Is the driver's side end of the EGR where two pressure testing plates can be installed the end that has full turbo pressure? Is that the "intake" end? Those plates are way easier to install than the exhaust pipe end by the firewall.

And while I'm asking, what is this valve in the intercooler return?

Thanks all!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
101 Posts
We dont know anything about disabling emissions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm not trying to disable emissions, I'm trying to isolate a potential coolant leak, and to learn about my duramax. I've edited my post to be more clear about what I'm asking and to eliminate any discussion of non-emissions. I didn't realize even mentioning emissions components was a problem here.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
That is a butterfly valve just like the gassers have to help draw more exhaust gasses into the combustion chamber. Yes you can stick plates in there but more than likely your drive pressure is the culprit if its the EGR.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me see if I get this right. The driver's side end of the EGR cooler is hooked up to drive pressure before the turbo, the passenger side rear end of the EGR is hooked up to the downpipe via a butterfly valve, and the pictured butterfly valve is where the EGR connects to the intake?

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
Exhaust gasses enter cooler pass side rear of engine which is drive pressure end. Gasses enter intake Y-bridge driver side behind the AC compressor. Drive pressure is the exhaust gas PSI that drives your turbo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah okay. So exhaust manifolds connect to up pipes that feed the turbo, one of the up pipes has a y in it that goes to the passenger side of the EGR behind the EGR valve. Exhaust gases then go across through the EGR cooler then into the Y bridge which connects directly to the intake manifolds. So the passenger side of the EGR is at drive pressure (between the exhaust manifold and the turbo) and the driver side is at charge pressure (enters between the intercooler and the intake manifold).

The unplugged butterfly above is the intake air control valve, which closes down to restrict clean intake air, which would cause the truck to pull more through the EGR.

Thanks for pointing me the right way! The last diesel I worked on is the 1.9 VW TDI in my samurai, and that is dead simple by comparison.
It will be a pain, but I'll try temporarily putting a pressure testing plate/block off plate on both ends of the EGR to see if removing that pressure helps with the strange coolant flow issues. Think I'll throw in a new coolant tank and cap while I'm messing with it, since those are cheap parts, and that is seemingly the only place where it could be pulling so much air in while the truck is off.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
You got it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 WT LML, 211k, LDS 64mm, CTS2, SD cold air intake
59 Posts
Heya, new to the forum. Recently upgraded from an '06 Silverado "hybrid" to a 2013 2500HD Duramax (Sierra SLT). I bought it about 5 or 6 months ago through an auction.

I'm having an occasional coolant issue (passenger/surge side of tank is full and overflows a little, but still have air in the driver's side of the coolant tank). I followed the factory fill procedure including the steps to get the air out, but as it cooled it still ended up with air to 1" below the 'min' line, about at the seam (as you can see in the left side of the photo), while the surge side is about 3/4 full. Is this likely a bad cap? Or a bad tank that's letting in air instead of drawing coolant from the surge side?

I'd also like to eliminate turbo pressure in the EGR + an EGR coolant leak as being a possible culprit, before I consider head gaskets.
Is the driver's side end of the EGR where two pressure testing plates can be installed the end that has full turbo pressure? Is that the "intake" end? Those plates are way easier to install than the exhaust pipe end by the firewall.

And while I'm asking, what is this valve in the intercooler return?

Thanks all!

View attachment 1092413
Head gaskets or plugged radiator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those would cause air to enter the system after shutdown?

·
Registered
2014 WT LML, 211k, LDS 64mm, CTS2, SD cold air intake
59 Posts
Those would cause air to enter the system after shutdown?
If you’re upper radiator hose stays hard after shut down, even over night. Likely head gaskets. If there’s tiny little bubbles in your reservoir, likely head gasket. Exhaust gas will cause excessive pressure in the system if leaking from head gasket.
Just speaking from experience. Just had HG’s done on my 2014 this spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts