Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 LB7. Engine temperature is fluctuating. Driving today on the highway and the temperature was going all over the place. Normally it will run around 186-190, which it would show that on my edge then all of a sudden drop to 130 or below, a few times it flashed 0 on my edge for a split second. When the temperature drops so does the engine behavior (power). Want some opinions before I start throwing parts at it. My first guess is a new engine coolant temperature sensor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
02 LB7. Engine temperature is fluctuating. Driving today on the highway and the temperature was going all over the place. Normally it will run around 186-190, which it would show that on my edge then all of a sudden drop to 130 or below, a few times it flashed 0 on my edge for a split second. When the temperature drops so does the engine behavior (power). Want some opinions before I start throwing parts at it. My first guess is a new engine coolant temperature sensor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your edge and cluster are showing the same thing, its very likely to be either the coolant sensor, or an intermittent short in the signal wires for it. Id inspect the wires to the sensor for any rub through, then id replace the sensor. the coolant sensors are not a common failing part, but they do fail now and then. Fortunately if memory serves there not super expensive at somewhere around 40$ the last time i looked.

Edit: if your edge and cluster showed different data, that would indicate that the cluster (or the edge, but probably the cluster) was the issue. Since both agree, the signal is actually dropping out and its not just a bad stepper motor, or solder point in the cluster causing the issue.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I ordered a new temperature sensor off amazon for only $15. Part number is Ac Delco 213-928 if it helps anyone out. I’m going to inspect the wiring tomorrow and see if I can’t find anything. My truck barely gets driven so I don’t suspect the wiring to have issues all of a sudden but I’ll take a look.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I ordered a new temperature sensor off amazon for only $15. Part number is Ac Delco 213-928 if it helps anyone out. I’m going to inspect the wiring tomorrow and see if I can’t find anything. My truck barely gets driven so I don’t suspect the wiring to have issues all of a sudden but I’ll take a look.
mice like stationary vehicles, dry, warm, out of the way. its a good place to get all the free plastic wire jacket you can eat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts